Is it normal for 5 year olds to have temper tantrums?

My son will be 5 next month and he just started throwing temper tantrums if he doesn't get his way and sometimes he'll slam his door and act out of anger.....he broke his owl statue today because he was mad.

sweetmissy_05

Asked by sweetmissy_05 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my daughter will be 6 in august and she just started having them as well. i'm not sure why she started doing this, she didn't have many when she was younger. mostly she has them when she gets frustrated because her older brother can do something that she is having trouble with. i would like to know what should be done to get her to stop as well since she will be starting kindergarten in the fall. right now, what i normally do when she begins to have a temper tantrum, i send her to her room until she has calmed down.
    smariew

Answer by smariew at 5:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Well, it is normal for a child of ANY age to have temper tantrums... I've somehow managed to diminish my daughters temper tantrums with a snap of my finger when I see one coming on ( I actually need to let her get more of her feelings out.) But it's normal... as to what you can do about it, you should certainly let him know that slamming doors and breaking stuff is not acceptable. Maybe if he started paying for everything he breaks he'd think twice before doing it again?? Now, there's an idea...
    pbjmomi

Answer by pbjmomi at 5:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Oh my Gosh! It is absolutely normal.I have three boys 6,5,and 4.My goodness sometimes they can be really bad.I just very firmly let them know that that behavior is unacceptable.And there are always consequences for their actions.And oh yeah,I've heard alot of doors slammed in this house!haha
    Britney

Answer by Britney at 5:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• To Smariew: I usually send my daughter to her room as well, and I make sure to talk to her about why she was so mad and figure out ways to get over that. It takes time for them to get these things under control but what you're doing will help them to deal with their feelings in the long run.
    pbjmomi

Answer by pbjmomi at 5:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• It's not normal for kids at ANY age to throw temper tantrums. Kids act how you expect them to act. Neither one of mine have ever thrown a fit because they knew we won't put up with it. Nip it in the bud right now and you won't have a problem.
    Anonymous

• Each child is different, most children act out with temper tantrums, either because the parents dont teach them NOT to do it or because the children have not been taught how to express themselves with words. Either way children only act how they are taught or not taught. So teach them how you want them to act. (not so easy) But doable. when he is mad (right their and then) tell him is behavor is not exceptable. ( send him to his room, corner time/time out your choice) after he calms down explain that he can no longer do that. Be consistant each time thats the key. He will learn i behave poorly and this will happen. Cause and effect. works great takes about 5 times and he will get the message. good luck
    phyliss3

Answer by phyliss3 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I'd say it's time to take action. You need to figure out where the anger is really coming from (which I know can be tricky) but be more observant of things he does and says to find the source. He needs an outlet for anger that's healthy make him go outside and play basketball or something of that nature. Most important of all talk to him about his feelings and let him know it is UNACCEPTABLE to behave that way and that you want to help him anyway you can.
    Getpaidwithxoxo

Answer by Getpaidwithxoxo at 11:54 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• i'm having the same problem my daughter is just 6 and has just started this behavior - over not getting her way. I personally think is has to do with them getting 'bigger' but still not having any 'control'.
    keeperof2

Answer by keeperof2 at 3:20 PM on May. 24, 2009