Have to go back to work and I only BF.....HELP!!

So I just found out the DH's work is cutting hours which means I have to go back to work and my little baby honey is only breastfeed. I will only be going back part time but what do I do about the feedings? Do I feed in the morning and make sure I have enough pumped for the day then go back to regular feedings at night? Im afraid he'll no longer accept my boob :( HELP!!

ArmyWife112908

Asked by ArmyWife112908 at 1:57 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, that is exactly what you do. Before you go to work, make sure and fill him up really well. At 8 weeks old, he will probably need about an ounce an hour, but just to be safe, if you're working an 8 hour shift plus commute time, I would be prepared with 12 oz for the first few days, until you can figure out how much he will need.

I work part-time, 3 8 hour shifts per week, and have been for 4 1/2 months, and have not had to give my daughter formula even once. I can tell you though, that I do have to pump at home quite frequently in order to keep up with her.

You will need to pump while you're at work, at least once, preferably twice, because if you don't it can cause supply problems (which can be fixed but obviously it's better not to have to worry about supply)

kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:28 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Well how old is he? You should be able to start giving him a bottle around 4 weeks and he should take both. Nurse in the morning before work. Then pump from your other breast right after. Also pump during your breaks to keep your milk going and get some supply for when your working.
    I hope it works for you. My baby never took a bottle or pacifier so I would have been in really bad shape if I had to go back to work.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I pumped and breast fed, my daughter did ok with both. But she had been getting pumped milk and straight from the boob since she was born. If you have to go to just pumping I dont think it would be terrible, after all it isnt how he is getting it, its that he is getting it.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• If you do start doing both, make sure when you give them the bottle they still open thier mouth wide like they have to do when you breastfeed.
    ArmyWifeNewMom

Answer by ArmyWifeNewMom at 2:04 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Hes 8 weeks old, he'll take a bottle but even after he eats and I come get him and hes not hungry he'll want to feed. We have a very good BF relationship and its part of our day. So when Im with him I just need to keep on trucking right? And can I get a pump at a second hand store?
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 2:05 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Don't get a pump at a second hand store because of diseases. You'll have to buy one. Since you don't have to pump a whole lot you could try the single pump or hand pump though. Or rent one from your hospital.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:11 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I went back to school when my daughter was 6 weeks old. I pumped and breastfed both. She still did very well... in fact she breastfed until she was almost two. Just stick with it and soon enough you two will get into your own routine and it will work out great! I dont really know about a pump from a secondhand store. Some places dont take used ones because of "health" issues. But if you do find one as long as you sanitize it, it will be fine. I would look on Craigslist in your area, under the baby + kids section. Buy it used from someone. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• (con't)

I don't think you can buy a pump at a second hand store because of health concerns, but like the pp said, try craigslist, or ebay. But if you go that route, make sure to buy replacement parts for it or thoroughly sterilize it. Parts for pumps are cheap, it's the actual pumping mechanism that is so expensive. You can also rent one at the hospital too, but in the long run, it saves money to buy one. I would definitely suggest buying a double electric, especially if you plan on having more children.

Most people would suggest the Medela Pump In Style, which runs about $280 new. I have that one, and I also have the Lansinoh Double Electric, which is only $150 new, and to be honest, I can hardly tell a difference.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:30 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• (con't)

The Medela is nice because it comes with a nice bag, which decreases the chances of damaging the pump and also provides discreetness. But as far as the actual pumping mechanism itself, if you're short on money, and want a new one, go with the Lansinoh.

Make sure that you freeze your milk in serving size portions, because once it is thawed, you can't re-freeze it, and I know I sure hate to see my precious milk go to waste. I would start off by freezing in 3 oz. Breastmilk can be stored at room temperature for 10 hours, in the fridge for 8 days, and in the freezer for 3-6 months. Thawed milk can be kept in the fridge for 24 hours.

kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:31 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• (con't)

As a pp said, make sure to use wide nipples that are slow-flow. Don't ever switch to fast-flow, because it could possibly cause a nursing strike if he knows he can get it easier out of a bottle- you want him to have to work for it from the bottle just as he does your breast.

A great resource for breastfeeding, working mothers:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html

Good Luck! It can be done! Just keep with it!
    kynziesmom