Are there any specific foods and beverages I should avoid? Can I drink alcohol

How long after drinking alcohol can you breastfeed?

cala-lily

Asked by cala-lily at 2:40 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You will get a lot of conflicting answers on this subject- it seems to be a touchy one. And there is an anonymous troll who likes to make a comment along the lines of "Why would you want to take the risk?"

I could explain everything, but my hand hurts too much to type! Hah, so here's a great link about drinking while breastfeeding:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

Such a small amount of what you eat and drink affects your breastmilk. Unless you are eating MASS amounts of something, such as dairy or spicy foods, you should be fine. Just eat healthy!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My SIL drank and then breastfed, her DD is fine. I think as long as you dont drink ALOT your ok.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I agree with PP. Also if you notice the baby is fussy start cutting back on gassy foods that could be the problem :)
    I drank very rarely while nursing but when I did I would not nurse and pump and throw that milk away. I had a ton of milk so I always had extra on hand.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 2:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I took a baby basics and breastfeeding class a couple months ago and they said not to give your baby breast milk untill the alcohol is out of your system. They also said it takes 24 hours for 1 can of beer (one can of beer is also equal to one shot) to get completly out of your system.
    ArmyWifeNewMom

Answer by ArmyWifeNewMom at 2:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• A study just came out within the last month that said you no longer have to pump and dump because the amount is such a small fraction.
    Personally I just dont' get drunk but I have a glass or two.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Any alcohol goes into your breast milk so it depends if you want to risk baby having it.The time frame is the same as it is for your body to get rid of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• There is definitely no need to pump and dump. Alcohol metabolizes in your breastmilk the same way it does in your blood. So time is the key. Pumping and dumping is just wasting your milk. Less than 2% of what you drink reaches your breastmilk.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 3:28 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Well, how often do you plan to drink? Why is this a concern for you?

General rule is 1 glass of wine/1 shot/1 can of beer are out of your system in 1 hour. So for every drink you have, it takes that many hours to get it out of your system.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• "I took a baby basics and breastfeeding class a couple months ago and they said not to give your baby breast milk untill the alcohol is out of your system. They also said it takes 24 hours for 1 can of beer (one can of beer is also equal to one shot) to get completly out of your system. "

Uhh, whoever taught that class is a moron.
    No, it takes one hour.
    If it took 24 hours then you'd be failing a sobriety test the afternoon after you had a glass and a half of wine with dinner the night before. Come now! Let's be real!!!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I am not a troll, and there has yet to be an answer to the question. One worries about what foods to avoid, yet is willing to drink alcohol while trying to give "the best" to a baby. I still wonder "why take the risk?"

I agree with Armywifenewmom. The breastfeeding class I took gave very similar information.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:16 AM on Jan. 24, 2009