Pumping & Working.

I have been working part time for 4 1/2 months, my dd is 7 1/2 months old. I pump constantly to ensure that she has enough (she's never had formula). When I am at work for 8 hours, which means about 9 hours in between nursings, she takes 3 bottles, for a total of 12 oz, and sometimes has a banana or something to go along. I was browsing through Kellymom.com and came across this:

"3. Babies need to drink milk when the mother is not at home.

Not true. Three or four good nursings during a 24 hour period plus a variety of solid foods gives the baby all he needs nutritionally, and thus he does not need any other type of milk when you are at your outside job. Of course, solid foods can be mixed with expressed milk or other milk, but this is not necessary."

What do you think about this? Do you think she could just eat solids while I'm at work? She definitely gets 3-4 good nursing sessions in at home.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you should just pump and give it to her, or else your milk supply will decrease. I say the more she gets the better off she is...it definataly couldnt hurt her to have the breast milk
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• OP Here:

I would definitely continue pumping at work, because I don't want to hurt my supply. But could she maybe only have one bottle while I'm at work and more solids? I was astonished when I read that....

Just looking for opinions here....

:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I'd say give her as much breast milk as you would if you were home with her. I know it's a chore, but it won't be forever. Breast milk is better for a young baby than other food. This is my opinion only, so whatever you decide will be fine.

Answer by Bmat at 9:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• i started giving my son cereal at the end of his 3rd month and then started him on solids in the middle of his 4th, he did so great.. just remember to take it slow.. one new food every 3-4 days to make sure there are no allergies... etc... i didnt talk to my doctor about this ahead of time.. he said he was so proud of me for making this decision on my own, he said so many moms play it by the book... he said mothering is an instinct, he said sure the books are guidelines, but not neccasary to follow by the book... in my opinion, i would try a little cereal at first, and then move to bananas, applesauce, squash, and carrots... good luck when you start her...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:25 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• also, i would continue to pump... my son just got his first cold... it is a very slight one... and i have four bags ofbreast milk in deep freeze, so i've been giving him that... he's starting to feel so much better...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:26 AM on Jan. 24, 2009