What/who is God to you?

I've tried being a Christian for a long time, but the bible just doesn't make sense to me, for a little while I thought maybe I was an atheist, but deep inside I do feel like there is a "God" I just don't believe in the Christian version. I just feel like there is someone/thing out there I just haven't found it yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• HE is the supreme power of the universe. In Quran HE says " Say, HE is ALLAH, the one and unique. ALLAH who is in need of none and of Whom all are in need. HE neither begot any nor was HE begotten. And none is comparable to HIM."
    Dear, if you are interested, you must visit the website www.tafheem ul quran by Maulana Abul Ala Maududi(english).com. You will find all your answers raised in your mind about God and christianity.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 9:18 AM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Everything. The beginning and the end

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2012

• OP a few years ago i could have written the exact same thing! keep researching and you'll eventually find the belief that makes sense to you. and even if you dont find something specific you'll have a better idea of what you believe by knowing what you dont believe. good luck in your search!

God to me is the energy that the universe is made of...maybe he's one, maybe he's many. i believe in a Deistic God, one that is powerful, set things in motion, but doesnt interfere with our daily lives. no grand miracles that defy scientific law, no handed down in their current form, perfect, holy works, no choosing sides at sporting events. and imo he's not the cause of major catastrophes, illness & disease, natural disasters, or anything else ppl praise/blame God for. i dunno what purpose he still serves but ive been questioning that for a while now haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2012

• The God is the Goddess' consort.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2012

• My way of understanding God tends to be more deistic, though I don't identify myself as Deist, I consider myself Christian Universalist. Anyway, I don't believe that God meddles or interferes in the world, though I do see Him as a "Prime Mover" of sorts - I believe that He is Who initiated out universe into being. I believe that He is love and compassion - that the virtues we are encouraged in the Bible - and in other religions as well - to cultivate are those characteristics that make up His own nature and are how we are "made in His image." My beliefs tend to be compatible with science, and I don't believe in hell or a lot of "traditional" Christian doctrine, like the idea of the Substitutionary Atonement, or the concept of the Trinity/Jesus' divinity. I believe we can draw near to Him, but I don't believe He extends His hand into our world to change events or meddle in our affairs. I believe all paths lead to Him as well.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2012

• Starting from ancient religions/civilizations "god/s" were an attempt to explain the unexplainable. Why "mountains spit fire" or "clouds touch the earth and swallow cities whole" etc. In other words a means to explain natural disasters when the real/scientific cause was unknown. As civilizations grew and gained more knowledge their concept of "god" also evolved. What once was used to explain natural phenomena was now used to try to explain more complex aspects such as emotions and what "causes" them to philosophical questions such as why we are here or what is the "meaning" behind life. As these philosphies grew and evolved, so did "god". So basically, an idea and a myth created by man to explain that which they lack ability to understand or comprehend and explain rationally.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2012

• The Divine(female and male) are, imho, energy. Together they put the stuff together that began our world.
    They dont rule it, they dont demand worship or respect or punish if we dont do just that. They gave it to us to learn and grow. They are always here for strength and guidance if we want it but they dont interfere. Cant learn if they did that.

LadyLotus3

Answer by LadyLotus3 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2012

• To me God/Allah is the creator. He is neither female nor male, is not human, has no consort, no children, was not born or created just is and has always been. God is all powerful and all knowing. I had a similar experience with growing up Christian. The bible was riddled with contradictions that I couldn't in good faith reconcile so I became wiccan/pagan I figured if I was going to worship God as a tri-fold type diety the maiden, mother, crone made more sense than a father son and holy ghost. Then I found Islam which was for me everything that a true monotheistic religion should be and it made so much sense. It was logical to me. I would encourage you to read more about other religions comparing them with christianity and with what makes sense to you.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 7:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2012

• Energy at the most. If you are talking God from the bible, then my answer is nothing. I'd agree with Beeky a fictional character from a book.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2012

• God is my savior, protector, and he strengthens me in my time of need. He has manifested himself in my life many times.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2012