Can bleeding a lot make your Temperature go lower?I am having my first period after giving birth and my temp is running 96 ?? I went thru 20 pads since yesterday afternoon, not totally soaked but heavy

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Health

• Thats an awful lot, I think I would call the ER or something. I do believe but am not positive that much bleeding can lower the temp. Its better to be safe than sorry. call someone
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:18 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• That doesn't sound normal! I would go to the ER immediately! You could be hemorrhaging (rapid loss of blood), and while in cases of hemorrhaging, your blood pressure would drop noticeably (do you feel dizzy/light headed especially when going from sitting to standing?) before your body temperature drops--your body temp COULD be indicative of one of several different types of shock (hemorrhagic shock, metabolic shock, cardiogenic shock, etc.)

After the birth of my first child I had heavy bleeding for about 5-7 days, but continued to have light bleeding/spotting for a total of 6 weeks. I was prescribed Augestin which stopped the blood flow, and following a pelvic exam I was deemed fine. That didn't happen after the birth of my second child--just about a week of bleeding, and it stopped.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:32 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Forgot to ask..

Is your blood flow BRIGHT RED or purpleish/maroon color. If it is CONSISTENTLY bright red and seems uncontrollable, then I would go to the ER immediately--call 911 if you need transport there with your child!

If it is purpleish/maroon color, then I would call your OB/GYN, and make an appointment to see them as soon as possible.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:35 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I only use tampons, so I don't remember what pads are like, but 20 since yesterday afternoon sounds like A LOT. I don't know about the temp thing, but I think I would seriously consider at least going to an urgent care center if not the ER. Is this your actual first period since giving birth, or are you still bleeding from the birth? Either way, still sounds like way too much and I would strongly urge you to see a doctor somewhere to make sure everything is ok.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:13 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Go see your Dr. or go to the ER.
    That doesn't sound normal.
    Lowered temp may be a signal that you are losing too much too fast.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 11:49 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Go to the doctor, not normal at all.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Its normal for the temp drop but not the excessive bleeding definitely see doc
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2009