hay ladies i need your help my eight year old son don't want to do him home work what should i do ?

i work so hard for him you kno? i buy him evrything he ask for

sohakhan

Asked by sohakhan at 5:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Not being mean but what has "i buy him evrything he ask for " got to do with him doing homework or then again it could be the problem.This is time for he does right, he will get rewarded, if he doesn't then he doesn't get what he asks for. Then slowly stop giving him everything he asks for, and only do it when he gets good report cards, does the right thing for so long, etc.there should be boundaries in these situations and making him work for what he wants(doing good in school, getting good grades,etc) is a first step. He still has 10 years plus for school, and he needs to learn now the importance of that.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Always make a plan for your children that will encourage them to choose to do the right thing. In this case, I would create a good routine for when he comes in from school, he gets a chance to get a light snack and a drink, maybe a few minutes out in the sunshine (kids really do not get enough fresh air and free time in school), but not tv. TV has a tendency to dull the brain, and children get cranky when asked to do their homework after watching even a few min. of TV. I would set a timer so that he realizes he has to stay on task, or have him sit near you at the dining table or in the kitchen and let him know that you are there to assist, but NOT do his HW for him.
    The rule being, here, that he can choose to do what he likes AFTER all homework is completed and a couple of helping chores around the home are completed. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 7:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Is this a serious question?
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 8:22 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My 8yr old doesn't want to do his homework either but I make him do it. Who's the parent? Set up a daily routine so he knows what to expect. Here we play at the park after school for 45 minutes (weather permitting) and then we come home and the kids sit at the table and get their homework done.

He doesn't have to like it. Heck, he can even complain a bit, as long as it gets done properly and doesn't disrespect your authority.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 8:40 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Plz don't take me as rude... but I think that we all work hard to make sure that our children needs and wants are taken care of and as that parent YOU have to set ground rules...
    the first rule of thumb in this house is that HOMEWORK is done during after school snack... unless it's Friday there is NO and's, If's or Buts... it gets done...
    I have NEVER had one of my dd's or now my gs question that rule...
    My suggestion to you is to stop giving your child gifts for lack of duty... (his homework is his duty) his studing, learning is his duty with you as a guide...
    also take away items that he favors... limit his indoor/outdoor activities... friends, etc... assure him that as long as he does his homework and studies... (give him a time frame to do it in daily) then these restrictions will stop...
    Good luck, but remember you are the parent...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:22 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Your son needs a routine after school allow him to have a snack, do not allow him to watch TV, play video games etc until his homework is completed! Make sure he is in a quiet area where he can concentrate. Once homework is done then reward him with TV playing outside etc.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Put him at the table with a bunch of work. Let him know he is not to move until it is done and corrected. If he moves knock him right upside his head and sit him back down. I didn't say hurt him but let him know whose running the show here.
    Anonymous

• Well it sounds like there are alot of things you can take away from your son when he doesn't want to do his homework. Of course most children get stubborn about their homework once in a while, But it sounds like your son needs to be retrained to do his homework. Sit with him and tell him the rules. Write them down. and also write what the consequences will be if he doesn't. ie take away one of his favorite toys or electronics or game consoles. Make it a contract. Have him sign it. Don't stray off the contract Mum. Stick with it, if you want to reward him do it every report card but nothing big. Maybe at the end of the year it can be a better reward. Children basically shouldn't need to be rewarded for something that is part of their daily life. Parents go to work, kids go to school. That's it bottom line.
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 5:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• This works for my 7 year old. I sit down beside her until she finishes her home work. she has a math sheet and a chapter in a book she has to read every day after school, Mon.-Fri..
    mustang311

Answer by mustang311 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• YOUR THE PARENT.....ALL OF THE ABOVE ANSWERS A VERY GOOD HEED THEIR ADVICE OR YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM IN A FEW YEARS AND THEN YOUR LIFE WILL BE HELL....
    40yrmom

Answer by 40yrmom at 10:24 AM on Jan. 25, 2009