Should I let 10 year old read "Twilight" just because her friend is reading it?

My 10 yr old daughter wants to read this book, as she stated because her friend is reading it. Normally I would probably let her (I read Stephen King's "It" when I was in the 6th grade) but she gets scared so easily and has to sleep with her door wide open and her lamp on. I've never read the book all I know is its a love story about a vampire and some chick who fall in love, bla bla bla I could care less. It sounds like its more directed at teenagers and such, right? Does anyone agree with me or should I just give her the go ahead and let her learn a lesson when she gets scared from it.

mustwearmakeup

Asked by mustwearmakeup at 6:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• It's not in the least bit scary. I am addicted to these books. I'm on #3 Eclipse now. They are great books. I think you should let her. There really isn't much vampire action. Nothing to worry about!! They are great. You may want to read them too!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• You might want to read them first (really, it will take you maybe a day to read one of them). They are great in that they have so many kids reading, they aren't really scarey or sexually explicit at all. I don't know if I'd want my daughter to read them at 10, though. In the second book both characters are like suicidal because they break up with each other. I would have my reservations about that part.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• It's a lot more dramatic than scary. I really loved the entire series because there was no foul language. Towards the end there is a bit of a reference to the character's sex life, but it's not inappropriate or detailed at all.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 7:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I've decided not to let my 10yr old read it. While it's not scary or anything I do think it's a bit mature for her. I think it really just depends on the child. I say you read it first and if you think she can handle it, then let her read it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yes - my 10 year old read all 4 books.
    I read them right ahead of her.
    They are sending out a better message than most of the TV shows they watch, IMO.

I love them, my DD loves them, my little sister, and my mom love them. It's also a great way to discuss relationships with your kid before they are too old to listen.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 11:58 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Perfectly fine for a 10 year old, nothing in it is scary.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• While nothing is scary. Some of the themes of the novels I think are a little much for a 10 year old. The obessesion that Edward and Bella have. The fact that they are suicidal after they break up. She even puts herself in dangerous situations where she could be raped. She jumps off of cliffs into water and nearly drowns and she starts hearing his voice whenever she does something stupid.
    Honestly, I think it's a little mature for a 10 year old. If anything, I would read them yourself and thn make that decision. You know your daughter better than we do.
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 1:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Both of my daughters have read/are reading it and so am I. I'm reading book # 4 Breaking Dawn. There is nothing scary about it. It is just dramatic. I think the books are a little mature for 10 year olds because after Edward and Bella break up they both become suicidal. In my opinion I don't think she should read the books but then again it all depends on your daughter.
    rebecca214

Answer by rebecca214 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• if she read harry potter you cam let her read twilight
    grumpyboston

Answer by grumpyboston at 1:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Read it for yourself if you have time first. Then you can have something to talk with her about. A mini book club for you 2. You could have her friends over too and make it a little party. A great way to encourage her to continue reading!
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2009