RELOCATE WITH CHILDREN

HOW DO I CONVINCE THE JUDGE THAT I WANT TO RELOCATE WITH MY CHILDREN DURING THE DIVORCE, MY FAMILY ARE IN THE NEW STATE, I APPLIED FOR A POLICE JOB WITH THE CHIEP OF POLICE WHOES MY FRIEND AND I HAVE NO SUPPORT IN THE OLD STATE AND NO FAMILY HOW DO I CONVINCE THE JUDGE

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I haven't been in your situation, but I think it's very reasonable to simply tell the Judge that you feel it is in your children's best interest during this transitional period (post divorce), to move to where you have a family support system that can help you and the children, by providing stability/consistency, emotional support, and child care.

Judges are typically MOST concerned over the welfare of the children. Providing a supportive network of family and close friends and working in a stable job that offers advancement is a major plus!

I should think the judge would WANT you to be a strong and independent provider for your children--as opposed to being dependent on the state or your ex for financial support. GOOD LUCK! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• If you have an attorney have him/her petition the courts for the move as long as you have proof that if will be better for the children... and that you will have a job, and that there is family there ...also you will have to come up with a reasonable visitation for the chidren with their father from state to state... my sister went thru this got to move but had to pay for her dd to come back to visit her father several times a yr... at least until our states legal age of 16...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• WRITE A LETTER TO THE JUDGE EXPLAINING THE SITUATION...I CAN'T IMAGINE HIM NOT LETTING YOU RELOCATE ESPECIALLY TO BE NEAR FAMILY FOR THE SUPPORT THEY CAN GIVE YOU....BUT AS STATED BY gmasboy YOU MIGHT HAVE TO MAKE ARRANGMENTS TO GET YOUR CHILDREN BACK TO SEE YOUR SOON TO BE EX SPOUSE...
    40yrmom

Answer by 40yrmom at 9:57 AM on Jan. 25, 2009