Where does it say that?

Ok, since it's impossible to portray tone and inflection properly in typing, I'm going to ask you all to be open minded before you read this question. I am not being sarcastic, I am genuinely curious...

I see many say that God says that the bible is the true word of God. 100% true and accurate. Dictated by the spirit of God himself into the men that wrote it.

Is this something that the Church came up with, or is it actually in the bible? Where? What verse? What is the exact quote, in context please?

If it is actually in there, why do you trust the word of the authors that it is true? I find it akin to saying that there must be sparkly vampires, cause a whole series of books told me so...

(*note ... I am not thinking of converting, please to not attempt to try. I am attempting to learn more about your faith, and why you have such conviction in something that you have no way of knowing for a fact.)

AnnieMcD

Asked by AnnieMcD at 8:26 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• mtnmama111: The OP asked for specific references in the Bible ( that was part of the ?)
    ....therefore we used it as reference.
    AnnieMcD,
    This question has got me doing some research and there are several books out on the topic. One thing is certain, your question has been answered by many scholars and historians (Christian and Non-Christian). To see their findings of actual historical/scientific and literal "proof" you would have to research it because there is far too much info about it to post here. Even with all of the historical, scientific and literal proof there is still an element of faith needed but the evidence rules out alot of the -'s being said here. My faith is enough for me but I do feel that the actual research would be a great asset......thanks for inspiring me to learn AnnieMcD.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 10:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I'm interested in seeing the answers. This is something that my husband and I have just been talking about. Other than faith how do you know. What about all the other Bibles that aren't the same as ours?
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 8:30 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• It's in the Bible--2 Timothy 3:16 says, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."

I believe it by faith wrought through many trials and (supernatural) victories. The LORD has proven Himself to me many times over.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:38 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• In the old and new testament God always proved himself to the people. He did it through miracles, signs, and wonders. All he ask is that we believe that he is the one that will do it. If you look on the healing question you will see that God is still healing and performing miracles today for those the trust and believe him. His Word says in Psalm 34:8 O Taste and see that Lord is good. meaning. Come see for ourself that his as good as he says he is. God just don't ask you to believe in him blindly. He has always given a guarantee of your outcome if you trust him. From my experience and I am sure from many others he has always came through on his promises.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 8:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Man wrote the Bible which means that everything written in the Bible is man's interpretation.  Common sense is knowing the difference between good and evil. I feel the same way about some religous rituals. Religous rituals are man made. Who is to say whether or not a religous ritual will be the answer to open the gates of Heaven? BTW - I was raised Catholic.

PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I don't know the answers to your questions, but aren't all religions based on faith? To my knowledge there is no religion that can be 100% proven.

I am a Christian and once asked my pastor..........."What if we are wrong?" He looked at me, smiled great big and said......"Won't that be a surpise!" I've liked that man ever since.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 8:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Lexylex, yes that says it was inspired by God. Inspired by, is very different from Written By. (again, not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to clarify...)

I can see a movie, "inspired by a true story". Texas Chainsaw Massacre, for example. That is "inspired by a true story". In fact there is no such story. The main character is similar to Ed Gein, in that he skins people. That is a portion of where the inspiration came from, and therefore it is allowed to be called "inspired by a true story".

I find it admirable that you have faith, but is there any evidence that the writers of the bible aren't just the worlds most accomplished fiction writers?
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 8:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Dyndudes, I like your pastor too! That is an awesome response!!!
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 8:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• People are free to test the word and prove it wrong for themselves. For many it was proven right there are no lies in there. All the promises are true.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 8:49 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I see many questions on here with the same theme. How do you know the word of God is true? I see many similiar answers. It was proven to be true. In order for one fully understand where Christians are coming from on this they must try it for themselves. God deals with everyone as individuals. It is up to the individual to share from personal experience on his validity. If you choose not to try if for yourself on the information you have recieved from others, why keep asking the same question?
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 24, 2009