What do you think of someone who works at a family dollar store?

I am recently thinking of going back to work part time and was at family dollar yesterday and the cashier was talking about how they are short handed. I NEVER imagined myself to work somewhere like that, I have previously worked in a daycare, as a bank teller, and as a head waitress. Not that I think Im too good, I always just thought it would make me look desperate for a job or something. But its really close to my home and might be an easy job to get. What is the first impression you get when you think of women who work at family dollar? I am 23 if that makes any difference.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• You go girl. Get in there and go to work! As others have said, "WHO CARES what others think?" I worked at a FD when I was in my 20's. It's a fun job. And if it helps get the bills paid. March on!
    RayChelB

Answer by RayChelB at 10:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• A job's a job. Who cares what people think! Would they prefer you to be using State Assistance. I say hold your head high and be proud of the fact that you're willing to do whatever it takes. Good Luck!
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 8:44 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• It a job who cares what anyone thinks.
    Good Luck
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 8:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I think they are some of the friendliest people I have met. I don't think I have looked down on anyone with a job of any sort. It shouldn't matter to you what others think of how you support yourself and your family. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I wouldn't judge anyone based on where they work. Ever. Work is work, and all that matters is that you are doing your job and getting your paycheck. It's all the same money! My little sister started working at the Dollar Store when she was 18, she is now 25 and is the manager of that store, and well on her way to regional manager. She loves it! They treat her well, and they seem to be a great company to work for. You certainly don't look desperate for a job, or like you are scraping the bottom of the barrel! Any job is upstanding and respectable as long as it is legal and you are happy with it!!! Best of luck! BTW....I love the darn dollar store!
    MommytoIsabella

Answer by MommytoIsabella at 9:05 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I think they're someone who works at a family dollar store. Just like I think someone who works at walmart is someone who works at walmart, or someone who works at Burger King is someone who works at Burger King. There is no negative notion to it, at least for me. A job is a job. I've been out of work since last June, and if a job at one of those places paid enough, I would take it in a heartbeat. The only reason I haven't is b/c it would only cover my childcare and gas to drive there, nothing else. As a single parent, I need more than that. If you want to work there, go for it. If someone thinks less of you, simply remind them that you may be working there, but they are shopping there, so what does that say about them?
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:08 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• As the others have stated...a job is a job! I think much higher of someone who actually WORKS for a paycheck than I do of someone who just COLLECTS paychecks!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:13 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I admire anyone who goes out and works for their money. I did my share of fry slinging at Hardee's but at least I was working.
    arbutusdawn

Answer by arbutusdawn at 9:19 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Your job does not define you, it simply pays the bills, gets you out of the house, provides a social atmosphere, whatever. I commend anyone who works for a living and doesn't mooch off society.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Personally I'd rather work there then fast food. But even fast food is better then nothing :)
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 9:24 AM on Jan. 24, 2009