• In the Spotlight:

How do I be sure my newborn is safe in his basanet at night?

Ok this morning I woke up to a baby who's feet was at the head and vice virsa... NOW how in the world did he move like that?? How can I keep him to stay put in his sleep...I'ma heavy sleeper myself , I'm worried I won't hear him if he needs me..
Any advice for a safe and sound bedtime for a newborn...

TheQueenPin

Asked by TheQueenPin at 8:44 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Was he hurt? If not, then why worry? He's just a mover....my daughter was the same way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Maybe put him in a crib so he is lower down and has more room to move around.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• When my children were in their bassinet, I had it set up next to my side of the bed, and I used infant "anti-roll over" padding--two cylinder shaped "pillows" that would attach via Velcro to a thin pad.

You can get them at Babies R Us or online at Onestepahead.com. They'll keep your little one from "inch-worming" their way around their bassinet, and later you can still use them when they move to a crib-until they're about 6 months old. 

When they moved to their crib in their own rooms I had a baby monitor with TV set up on my nightstand, so I could see if they were whining because they were awake and playing or if they really needed me.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I agree...he's a mover. So?

If you're concerned about not waking, I suggest a monitor (even if he's by your bed) and turn the volume all the way up.

I used to be a heavy sleeper. Now I wake up if they stir in their beds.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:18 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• When he starts moving around that much in his bassinet it is time to put him in a crib. He'll have more room to move.  Get a monitor. Keep the doors open between your bedroom and his.

Answer by Bmat at 9:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• How old is he? Those infant postponers are not recommended because they can be a suffocation hazard. I agree with either just letting her move or using a crib. You say you are a "heavy sleeper" but you will be surprised at what wakes you up when you are a mommy! I woke up once because I just "Felt" like something was wrong and I was right!! There were no sounds it just didn't feel right. Turned out DH had moved baby in his sleep and our son was on the edge of the bed fast asleep. One wrong move by DH and he'd have been on the floor!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• do you swaddle? or have a swaddler's blanket? they work great... babies move.. my son did this, i was totally convinced that one of his great grandfathers paid a visit from heaven... cause for four nights in a row he switched sides of the crib.. lol he's still a mover at 6 months.. my son hated to be swaddled, so when he was a newborn, i just layed him in his crib... he cant go anywhere... but i had him laying the short width of the crib... also hon, i use to be a deep sleeper, and when Patrick started crying.... i woke up... plus if your nursing, your body will wake you up... the leaking factor... good luck, and you'll hear him.. hugs on the new baby by the way
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:18 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I was not worried about my daughter doing that. Until I put her in her brothers toddler bed. She is 4 1/2 months old and she knows how to go from belly to back and NOW she is doing back to belly. So, I keep in in between her daddy and I in the bed. Just to be safe for now.
    xxsweetpeaxx68

Answer by xxsweetpeaxx68 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2009