I was wondering if anyone had ideas about what to call a step-parent? (Other than first names, or Mom and Dad)

I have brought 2 children and he has brought 1 to our marriage. We will be having a child together in July. We needed help on what our kids can call us? We don't want to be called by our first names, and they don't want to call us Mom and Dad. Any suggestions?

Soccermomc

Asked by Soccermomc at 9:38 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• mother and father? Mama Joyce and Papa Paul or Daddy Paul? Paw and Maw? Momsie and poppa? Mama and papa? Mere and pere? Madre and Pappa? (not sure about spelling), Ma and Pa? or Ma and Pop?

Answer by Bmat at 9:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Ask the kids... They might be able to help you answer your question..
    Our boys call their stepdad, "dad #2",lol It makes them smile everytime they say it, and they came up with it....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I was MiMaw for a long time. Now, I am Mom or Mommy.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My stepbabies call me "Eema" which is Hebrew for mother (we're Jewish, but their BioMom isn't, so it's not a name she'll miss being called).

See if you can find a name on this website that you like.

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:13 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Belle-Mere. That's the french term for stepmother and it means "beautiful mother" so I think it's a wonderful term.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Oh, and beaux-pere would go for the step-dad - meaning heandsome father.
    cat0325

• My sisters and I always called our step dad by his first name...he had no problem with it
    MiBabysMama

Answer by MiBabysMama at 12:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• mama ( ) <----first letter in ur first name
    HAUTMAMMA3908

Answer by HAUTMAMMA3908 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• ask the kids what they want to call you and have a family meeting about it
    you could try just step-mom and step-dad, or momma (insert name) and papa (insert name)
    if they're young enough, they'll hear their siblings calling you mom and dad, and pick up on that weather you want them to or not
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 2:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My SD calls me Susan...it is my name and she has a mother of her own. I don't think it is any big deal at all for her to call me by my name.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2009