How do i deal with my stepsons' rages when he is mad?!

cookie79

Asked by cookie79 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• First you have to find out WHY he's so angry. Of course it's usually because he didn't get "his way" or something like that. However...there might be more to it. Depending on age you ( 3-12 ) you can let him just sit in the middle of the floor and get his anger out by punching a pillow and tell him to let YOU know when he's finished so you guys can talk about it. The AGE factor is HUGE here though. How old is he?
    OMGIAMGOINGNUTS

Answer by OMGIAMGOINGNUTS at 10:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Not enough info. Age? Does he live with you? How/where is dad when he's raging? Does he have some sort of disability? What boundaries/rules do you have in your home? What does he do when he's "raging"?

with my 5 year old, if he feels the need to "rage" he can go to his room and yell etc. all he wants and then after I MAY (depending on circumstances) talk and/or cuddle him or just have him follow through on what he was supposed to do (if he was raging b/c of something he needed to do) and then he has to clean up whatever mess he made and we go on.
    I know that I like to walk away and deal with my anger so I allow my child the same space (my mom disagrees) So I know that family habits and dynamics are an important part of this question.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Start acting just as crazy as he's acting. Make him think your the crazy one around the house. He'll get the point.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 4:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• does he have a personality disorder that causes the rages, like bi polar or borderline personality disorder? If so, read some books. One good one is Stop Walking on Eggshells

Answer by admckenzie at 6:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2009