I was thinking about taking Amtrak to see my sister. 1/2 the price of airline tickets. It would be from 6:30 pm to noon. So we would eat dinner on the train, sleep, wake up, eat breakfast and voila, we would be with my sister for lunch. Is it safe, is it unfcomfortable, is it loud? Do you have an Amtrak experiance you can tell me about? What should I expect?

travel

Jgirl

Asked by Jgirl at 3:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Travel

• WHat do you think, seriously.
    Jgirl

Answer by Jgirl at 3:35 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I have never gone Amtrak, but I did take a greyhound for 48 hours once and then a different time i took one for 14 hours. Granted, I didn't have children with me either time, these were years ago. However, some people did. The longer trip was definitely not worth the savings, however the shorter was. I would imagine that Amtrak would be a much better form of travel than the bus!!!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• i had my first experiance with amtrak last year, it was great, we had our own little table and good view, we met some great people and we had to get up and buy our food in the next cart. time will go fast if you talk, eat and enjoy the view. My advice would be to bring an ipod and some activities for your kids so they wont get bored, but it was exciting for me and im an adult LOL
    fairybrokenwing

Answer by fairybrokenwing at 7:28 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I took amtrack with my daughter when she was 9 mos. We had a great time. I also have taken the train before that as a kid (about 7 or 8 yrs. old)and loved every minute. I hope I have helped!!!
    marianance

Answer by marianance at 2:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• We haven'e ever gone that fare, but when we have it has bee very nice. It is not uncomfortable, but we haven't slept. My son thinks it is amazing!
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 3:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I took a train from San Diego to Virginia Beach with a 4 yr old and a 6 month old. People were wonderful, helpful. The beds weren't terribly comfortable but no bed other than home ever is for me. My 4 yr old was in awe..the entire trip. The baby mostly slept. I brought books, and doodle board GI JOes and cars. He never seemed bored and he didn't play with his toys much. He was more interested in asking questions.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I've taken amtrak several times...not while pregnant but with my six year old..it was comfortable. Just make sure to bring things to occupy your time. I like the train better than the bus...now I know I won't do that again.
    cherrypop192001

Answer by cherrypop192001 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• look if you get car sick it best for you to sit on the bottom of the cause the train is quiet i rode it with my children and they enjoyed it.
    Anonymous

• The rooms are tiny but fine.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:33 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• I love amtrak. I used to take the train every other weekend to go home to visit while I was away at college. Now, I take my son on the train to visit, it's so much easier because I can play with him and nurse. It's also great that you can sleep, eat, and relax.
    COgle3

Answer by COgle3 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2009