How can I help my daughter's confidence in walking?

She walks holding onto items and through the house with her walker, she refuses to take any steps on her own. She won't stand by herself either. I asked the doctor and he said that it isn't so much she can't rather than she doesn't want to. So I tested his theory. I held her hands and while she was distracted I let go and she stood there until she noticed that I wasn't touching her. Now she is only 13 months and I know she has some more time but I have another baby on the way and I'm not sure I can wait to see if she makes it before her sister arrives. Anyone know of ways to get her going. I tried some theories but all have failed so far. I'm still working with one. My granny said that she used to put her kids up against a wall and had a toy that they wanted, but Janelle would just get in crawling position to come get it...:(. I do the sit down with my legs out and her in front of me but she just falls forward onto me.

busybee86

Asked by busybee86 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The thing about the human baby is that they develop at diff. times. I've seen a small handful of babies at this age walk, but 3 of my 4 where much older. You can't make their spine and skeletal frame hold their body securely, faster b/c they must learn to balance that frame. Don't hurry your baby girl, she'll grow faster than you can blink!! ;)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:44 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• You can relax about this. She'll walk on her own schedule, and then you will wonder what you were ever worried about. My son didn't walk until 17 months. My granddaugter walked at 15 months. Just as you are describing, they could walk, but they didn't see the need for it.

Answer by Bmat at 10:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• use a push toy
    mamaof2boys148

Answer by mamaof2boys148 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• DD just started walking 2 weeks ago. She is 14 1/2 months. I wouldn't worry it too much--you said you've tried a lot of methods. Baby girl just doesn't want to! I would keep trying the methods you already use. She'll do it eventually, mama, no worries, though I know you're excited for it :~)

Medically, you have no reason to worry until around 17 months. At that time, they will want to do an evaluation to make sure your DD does not have any serious problems.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Coming from someone whose girls both walked at 9 mo- enjoy this time!!! Once they're walking- it's ON!!!
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2009