How do I go about weaning my 16 month old?

He's my third and it's time to wean him. I didn't wean my first until 2 weeks before she turned two so I could reason with her but I don't have a clue with him. My second one just quit on her own at 10 months. I need help!!

3cutiepatooties

Asked by 3cutiepatooties at 11:03 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try putting your milk int a sippy cup. only let him only nurse when it is time for nap or bed, eventually he will get the hang of it. maybe he just isn't ready... good luck
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 11:10 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• With mine, when he dropped the bottle on the floor, I broke it and them him it was broke and gave him a sippy cup and it worked.

donnabuzybee

Answer by donnabuzybee at 11:33 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Drop one feeding per week. Keep the most "desireable" feeding (usually right before bedtime) for the last one you drop. For example, I dropped one naptime feeding, then the other, then the morning nursing session then the bedtime one and didn't let him "comfort nurse". We weaned at 15 1/2 weeks for medical reasons for me.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• i never thought i was going to wean my youngest i kept thinking that it was my fault so i waited til i could explain to him and i knew he was understanding the words i was telling him its easy for people to say just stop , which is what i was told by many people. maybe the baby isnt ready yet not that any of this will help you but at least you will know that there are people out there that went threw the same thing :) god bless
    beachflower5

Answer by beachflower5 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Don't offer, don't refuse--that is a great way to initiate weaning. It means don't offer it, ever. But don't refuse it when they ask for it.

As PP stated, if you are on a set schedule, drop the least desired feeding once a week.

DD is not on a set schedule. I would have no idea how to go about weaning her! So Im not going to--she can do it when she's ready :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2009