• In the Spotlight:

My 8 month old absolutely hates his formula, any ideas or other moms who have experienced this?

I have tried switching formulas, bottles...everything. He has never been a good eater, but we are at an all time low. I have tried sippy cups, straw cups, regular cups. And now I spoon feed it to him. And he still hates it. I basically force feed the poor guy to get him to the 20 ounces my pediatrician wants him to eat (but tells me not to count...RIGHT).

Jacksmom32

Asked by Jacksmom32 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• jacksmom- if you ever need to vent please just email me! I am always ready to vent with you about it!! LOL! I tried the juice too in the bottle with the formula and all different temps. Nothing worked for me... Try Nestle Good Start as AmiJanell suggested. That is what I did because it is sweeter and it actually worked for abour 3 weeks and I was loving life and then it just went down hill again! PLEASE let me know if you find a trick that works!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 9:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Look into breastmilk donation. It's sweeter & healthier for your baby. If that's not an option you want to pursue, can you mix some of into his foods/cereals? Have you let him have the control--in terms of holding the cup or bottle?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• have you tried the next step formula its for babies 8 to 24 months? I dont know that it taste different he may not lke it either. Id say if hes eating solids if you could get atleast 2 cups a day in him hes probably fine but im not ur dr so. Maybe you could try flavoring it with something like strawberry yogurt or something i dont know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• i would mix into cereal..and I'd also just try other kinds of formula, taste test! Pain in the ass I know, and he will become gassy most likely..but in the long run he'll get the nutrients he needs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to try other formulas, the "older" ones too, and maybe flavoring it. We don't let him hold the bottle b/c he has alwyas been such a terrible eater, but I'll try that too!!
    Jacksmom32

Answer by Jacksmom32 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I have the same exact problem with my 7.5 month old! He has been like this since 3 months old. I too struggle with trying to get 20oz down a day and I have tried everything that you have tried. I stress out day after day with this eating thing and it just makes me sick knowwing that he is supposed to get 30oz a day and I can barely get him to eat 20oz. The crazy thing is he has NO problem eating at day care and I have had her show me how she feeds him and when and how and all that and still he will not eat for me or my husband. Luckily he is in daycare or he would never eat! The weekends are such a struggle........so I feel your pain. If you figure it out please let me know what you did.....I will do the same for you!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 11:27 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• It's SOOOO comforting to know that there are other people having this problem too, and I'm not a terrible mother!!! It's funny...my son will eat SOOO much better for my mom when he is at her house. Very preplexing. I will definitely let you know if I find a solution! I am thinking of trying to add a bit of apple juice to the formula. Or even a drop of vanilla. Anything at this point because I am ready to lose my mind! And thank god my husband had him all day yesterday and now completely uderstands the issue.
    Jacksmom32

Answer by Jacksmom32 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yes - I had to exclusively breastfeed DD #2 until she was about 9 months old. Then, I put her on 1/2 formula, 1/2 soy milk (even if it wasn't recommended, at least she ate it!).

Some people (doctors, my DH, friends and family) kept saying, "If she gets hungry, she'll eat it!" Well, she would go 8 hours without eating!!! I had to try something.

Good luck!
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 12:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Same DD would not eat anything for a stranger. Nothing.
    Only one daycare lady could get her to take a bottle (from the age of 3 months, she was this finicky!) When we had to switch daycare, she didn't eat for about a week there. She would be absolutely starving when I picked her up. It was so sad and frustrating!
    It was bizarre! She's not a picky eater now (age 8).
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 12:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Has he always hated his formula? Had he been breastfed and then switched to formula?
    I don't know what you have tried but Goodstart is sweeter and he might like it more. Similac probably tastes the worst.
    Any signs of reflux? Some babies stop eating because they know it hurts.
    Tried different temperatures? Ask about starting whole milk... sometimes doctors give the ok to start it early.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2009