My baby will not eat food

My baby girl is 10 months old. I started feeding her baby food when she was 6 months old. She would eat maybe a jar a day (squash being her favorite) for the past two months she will not eat baby food. I have tried fresh veges and fruit cut up, but she spits it out. I have tried yogurt and she won't eat that. I have tried mashed potatoes and she will take a few bites but is then done. She takes 6 7oz bottles a day. I also will give her a little water in her sippy cup. I have talked to her pediatrician and she said as long as you is getting her formula then she is fine until he age of one. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you! : )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds like shes full from drinking all that formula. try the gerber graduates little meals maybe shes ready for something different with more texture and things she can feed her self.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• As long as she is getting the formula, she IS okay.

Forget the baby food and start working towards table foods. It could be she's seeing you eating something different and she wants what you have. Baby food is just for practice anyway......
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:21 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Don't give her the bottle until AFTER she eats. We give our son one fruit, one veggie, and a half of a bottle afterwards. He knows he's not getting that bottle until he eats his solids. If she's hungry, she'll eat.
    ktrog

Answer by ktrog at 11:34 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Let her feed herself. They get independent and want to do everything their way. Try some finger foods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• She'll eat when she's ready. I wouldn't worry.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Sounds like she is ready for real food.
    My kids never liked baby food (have you smelled that stuff?) :) and went straight to real food. I would make vegetables, and mash them up. Baked potatoes were a big hit for a while or spaghetti cut up really small, etc.
    Good luck!
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 12:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• SHe's fine w/o food. BUt try finger foods. My dd always liked thicker and when I'd move up a stage, she wouldn't eat the earlier stage foods.
    Anonymous

• At my daughters 6month appt, our Dr instructed to cut her formula back to 32 oz a day total. She was also a great eater at first but she has gone through the same not eating phase. She is now almost 9 mon. , she will rarely eat baby food that we feed her, she would rather feed herself. So we use lots of the gerber graduates (her favorite is the yogurt bites)

leeh5

Answer by leeh5 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• To add to above we were doing the cubed fruit and veggies but never found alot of variety so we have changed to canned fruits and veggies. So for dinner last night we had pork roast. I gave her baby carrots whole (cooked of course) cut the potatoes in cubes and shredded the meat. After she devoured that I gave her some pears(I just buy the lunch size cups they seem to be the perfect size). For alot of breakfast I give her a handfull of cheerios (she likes the yogurt covered ones) and some fruit. I have to watch because sometimes she puts to much in her mouth but normally does well. But we have just been experimenting with different foods.
    leeh5

• I never fed/feed my daughters anything I wouldn't eat- they like seasoning and textures etc too... start now feeding her the way you want her to eat later- with little pressure, eating til full only, healthy things first, then *fun* foods. My girls will still fill up on fluids even when really hungry (@5&7yrs)- make sure that drinking and eating don't take place at same time.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 4:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2009