Birth Plan......

Im not quite sure how to make my birth plan...
ive tried to fill one out online but some of the questions on there i didnt understand.

i dont want to make one too long or too short..

all i know is that i want an epidural..thats all i know right now and im not sure what else im going to need to tell them or how to make one..

any suggestions?

im due in 2 months so id really like to get one made now in case i change my mind about something and i can change it before its too late...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you're going in to the hospital already planning on getting iv's, drugs and laboring on your back--why would you need a birth plan?? A birth plan is for those that want a more natural, unmedicated, hands off approach. It's to protect their birth experience and not make it a big medical event.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• IN the hospital you don't have to labor on your back they will walk you up and down the hallway or you can rock in a chair. You DON'T have to have drugs of you don't want to, I had no narcotics only the epidural. Just put on there that you want an epidural, whether or not you want them to use forceps/vacuum IF NEEDED they don't always do it. Or you can choose to have a c section instead of them using the forceps or vacuum. I did have Demerol with my son (first child) and it made me too tired to push so, I decided with the rest of my kids I didn't want Demerol.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I always tell anyone to not get the narcotics if you can't handle the pain go straight for the epidural. If you don't want to labor on your back you can put that in your birth plan but, of course you can't get out of bed after you have any kind of pain meds. Also, if your not being induced make sure your doctor or husband and the nurses know what you want so, they can help you with it.
    matthewscandi

• Every woman should at least go through the act of creating a birth plan. There are so many different options its good to have an idea of whats coming ahead time. This way you can truly make an informed decision.
    Check out "The Birth Partner: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas, and Other Labor Companions" by Penny Simkin. Its does a great job of explaining the birthing process, the different options, and birth from the perspective of everyone involved.
    Just because you what an epidural doesn't mean you should not have birth plan. You still have choices like walking epidural verses traditional. Do you want other drugs as well?
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 12:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• As for the actual writing. Remember you don't have to include everything just pick the things that apply to you. Keep it to about one page. After you written it, pick the top 3-4. This helped me narrow down what was truly most important to me. Then take it into your care provider and ask them to review it.
    Also if you have questions feel free to contact me and I will help if I can.
    FuzNet

• I chose not to do a plan because i didnt want to be disapointed if it didnt go my way. some of the options on the plans are silly...like candles, aroma therapy ect...i wouldnt have cared if i was in a barn. it was so intense and painful i just wanted it over. and hey had i made a plan it wouldnt have been possible to follow it, it was not at all what i expected to begin with.
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2009