Is it appropriate to get married at city hall then have a ceremony in a church at a later date?

My fiance and I are going to city hall this week to get married because our daughter and I need insurance and have to be married in order to be put on his. We had originally set a date to get married in June 2010. Is it appropriate to get married now and have a ceremony with family on our original date we planned?

axbeautifulxlie

Asked by axbeautifulxlie at 11:35 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't see anything wrong with it. I just wanted a big wedding DH wanted to go to City Hall. Do whatever makes you happy.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 11:36 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My DH and I went to city hall because we cant afford a big wedding, but once we have the funds we'll have one. But it may be in 3 or 4 years and if someone doesnt like it they can just not show up.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yes it is appropriate. The church ceremony is called something like celebrating the marriage of, or blessing the marriage of, or something like that. The minister will likely be familiar with the idea and what to call it and how to conduct it. The invitations, for example, if you decide to have printed invitations for the church ceremony, will say something such as Jane and John Smith invite you to celebrate their marriage at St Michael's church, and so forth. The minister and the card shop will know for sure.

Answer by Bmat at 11:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• thanks guys
    axbeautifulxlie

Answer by axbeautifulxlie at 11:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Absolutely! It's called a "re-statement of vows" or "re-affirmation of vows" and most churches will do it. You can then have a reception to celebrate the re-statement with friends and family.

My sister got married in her living room then a few motnhs later had a re-statement of vows. The best thing about doing that is ANYONE can officiate at the re-statment since you're already legally married. She had her FIL do the honors.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• yes, it is sort of like a store that opened it's doors and did business before Grand Opening day! It is perfectly fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• All that matters is that you're married right? It is appropriate to do what you have to do at this point. You can always go and renew your vows at a later date.. OH, Congratulations BTW!! :)
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 11:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yep and congrats
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I think it would be appropriate. You could even save the expense of the dress and all that goes with it and just have a huge celebration party. The vows are what is important, and if you can't afford the party right now, it will be just as much fun later on. Congratulations on your marriage.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• It is totally appropriate. If you are religious it is expected by many churches. Some believe that a civil ceremony is not one sanctioned by God. I personallyu think that's bunk..but there are more than a few who think that.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2009