Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My One year old got into rat poison yesterday, we rushed him to the ER and they said to just watch him over a 3-5 day period hes acting normal today and he was yesterday but i have no idea how much he got is there anything i can do in the meantime to help? he's my firstchild and im so scared please help me.

Answer Question
 
mysonismyangel1

Asked by mysonismyangel1 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 4 (39 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • There is nothing more you can do except just watch and wait.
    I would get rid of the rat poison and any other poison you have anywhere in the house - or lock it up with a key in a higher cabinet! That's one thing you could do while you wait.

    Good luck mama!
    daylily888

    Answer by daylily888 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2012

  • I think if the ER docs were comfortable with that care plan you shouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye out, like they say. Did they tell you what to look for, symptom-wise?
    BrawnwynII

    Answer by BrawnwynII at 1:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2012

  • Thank you both but all they said to look out for was bruising or bleeding of the gums or in his stool/urine and to bring him in if that showed up. but since he's so active all the time he gets little bruises all the time from bumping into stuff and tripping. He didnt get into the poison at my house. I dont have any poison in my home and what i do have thats toxic is locked up.
    mysonismyangel1

    Comment by mysonismyangel1 (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2012

  • Prayers for you momma.
    Mrs.Elgert

    Answer by Mrs.Elgert at 2:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2012

  • The bruising you'd be looking for would be way worse than the little bruises they get from playing. Honest. You'd know them if you saw them.

    I think that he's probably doing okay if you haven't seen any signs yet. If you remain really concerned you could give poison control a call and just chat with them. They are really good about giving solid information and easing your mind.
    BrawnwynII

    Answer by BrawnwynII at 2:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2012

  • thank you so much
    mysonismyangel1

    Comment by mysonismyangel1 (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2012

  • I agree, the bruises would be very obvious and frequent - from things that shouldn't cause bruises, like if you were to firmly grab his arm to move him out of harms way and later you notice that that common action has now left a bruise.
    Or his gums are bleeding when you brush his teeth.
    If the doctors thought he ingested a good bit of the poison, they would have admitted him to the hospital. It sounds like they believe your son will be a-ok, but want you to keep an eye out in case it is a case where he needs further treatment.
    daylily888

    Answer by daylily888 at 3:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2012

  • They didn't give him a shot of Vitamin K?
    BridgetC140

    Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 10, 2012

  • no but im happy to report that he hasn't shown any symptoms and acts like nothing happened so i think he's gunna be just fine :)
    its been about 4 days and nothing has happened to he should be ok
    mysonismyangel1

    Comment by mysonismyangel1 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.