can a diaphragmatic hernia be caused by trauma

like a car accident

kutiepiemama

Asked by kutiepiemama at 4:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Hmmm... are you meaning trauma that occurred to the mom while she was pregnant?

I had never heard of this till I read your post. I had to look it up to see what it is. So far, I've read that it is a birth defect... so maybe you are wanting to know if your child's birth defect might have been caused by trauma while in-utero??

I was diagnosed with ulcers and hiatal hernia at age 14... as well as having heart issues. I am quite sure those were a result of traumatic events, severe abusive environment I was raised in.

I'm thinking you are meaning something a bit different(?)

I'm curious to know as well. Wish I could help you!

Trust_HIM_Ps57

Answer by Trust_HIM_Ps57 at 6:00 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Well I found out recently that my baby has a diaphragmatic hernia. I had never heard of it before so I have been learning as I go see multiple doctors and specialists and have ultrasounds every few weeks. The doctors have made sure that I know that this had nothing to do with me. What happens is that the hole in the diaphragm fails to close by 10 weeks and then the abdominal organs are able to move into the chest.
    JessicaWelman

Answer by JessicaWelman at 3:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2009