Husband is a slob!

I have been married for 8 years. I work raise 4 bio and 6 step(all not in home) and manage to clean,cook, and wash clothes. My husband does not contribute at all. He eat and do not clean plate, leave his clothes on the floor, and cook occassional. Do you think husbands should help with some of these things and Do you think it is disrepectful to you and your home when he dirty up after you have spent time cleaning in the above areas?

DivaMom504

Asked by DivaMom504 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• He should have his share of household chores. If he takes care of the yard and cars and house maintenance then he is doing something. He should not toss his clothes on the floor, and if you are tired from work and are busy with the children and his tasks are done and the dishes are sitting there then he should jump in and wash them. He should be making your work easier not harder and he should work just as hard as you do to keep the household running smoothly.

Answer by Bmat at 12:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• i'm so blessed that my husband does a lot around here. although he is a slob too. i can't really complain though cause he cooks more often then me but i have never been much of an eater.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I am a SAHM of four children my husband works outside of our home. When my husband is home he picks up after himself, helps out with the children, helps tidy up and he is amazed with all I do!

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:54 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• hahaha this is a funny question because i think everyone of my friends have asked this as well ... my husband likes a clean house and will help out when asked although i usually go behind him and put the finishing touches on.lol he too will throw his clothes on the floor and i always say to him that i know exactly what he has done throughout the day cuz he leaves a trail.lol.i guess its normal and some things are not worth the fight but he should know that it bothers you and i am sure that as long as he understands this is important and not just a silly issue he may work on his cleanliness habits a bit..:)
    beachflower5

Answer by beachflower5 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• The older I get the more it doesn't matter who does it... and the more I don't care if he wants to do it... I don't want to do it either.... but it's OUR house. So we have a joint effort going. I wouldn't think of it as disrespect.... houses are made to be lived in and men don't read minds. If you want him to clean up, tell him. I've found in my life that my man will just comply when I ask, he loves me and wants me to be happy. If my DH lays something around that is just bugging me then I have no problem either picking it up or telling him to. Of course, my DH was a life-long bachelor before we married, and usually long-time bachelors are better at cleaning. And I will also add, I'm not working now, so I feel that I can carry the majority of the work, it seems fair to me.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• If you are a SAHM I think you shoudl do the housework. BUT if he can see that you are overwhelmed with work, he should help out, full-time job or no.

Talk to him about how you are feeling. Don't nag him about it but tell him you just cannot keep up (come on you do have what it is 10 children around at times???). You are not supermom and even superheroes sometimes need help and could he please help with .....
    Anonymous

• I have been going through this for the past 9 years. I'm used to it now. I've learned to deal with it. My Husband was raised as an only child. He was used to being cleaned after. I don't mind because I would rather do it myself and know it is done right or have him do it and things are screwed up. He has tried in the past though. Tried doing laundry once used 3 bottles of tide in one load. Oh yeah I will do it all myself. I really don't mind.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 3:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• As both of us work and both of us are able adults- of course we should both have chores... I REFUSE to be the only cleaner in house- so I do what I feel is my share- for a LONG time that meant the house was dirty- but now he participates AND I don't have to be a nag...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• It depends on the marriage. If you need a husband that helps clean then yes, it is important that he contributes in that aspect. You know your husband so you'll know what works for him. Maybe you can hint that you'd like him to do the dishes that night. Maybe you could take him out to buy a clothes hamper.... try saying something along the lines of, it would be easier to have the dirty clothes in one place. If you need to, come right out and make a to do list for him. Make sure you get his approval first. Try something like, "I have so many chores to do at home and I really want the house to be clean for this weekend. Would you mind helping me with some? Here's my list of chores, what chores could you help with?"
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• my husband does it too
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2009