Can one be born a witch?

I have recently discovered that a great great great grandmother of mine was said to have been a witch in the hills of West Virginia. I have know real evidence as of yet tho..only old rumors. When I heard this is it me like a ton of bricks. I have always had little glitches of knowing when thins happen right before they do. Could this be something from my grandmother? I would really like real witches to respond please...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• A person can be born with talents but if they are never developed they stay "little glitches" like yours. If you work at it, you might get better at precognition. As for your 3X great-granny, many women back in the Appalachain hills were considered "witches". Some of them really were. Others were simply midwives, or women who knew a lot about healing sicknesses and treating wounds, toothaches, fevers, etc. Others were only half-senile old women who had outlived everyone else in their families, and got by the best they could all alone and mostly shunned. At this point finding out which describes your ancestress is going to be somewhere between hard and impossible. Why don't you try and develop your gifts and you can always point to the possible ancestral witch as your inspiration even if you didn't inherit your abilities from her.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• There are some witch traditions that are said to be handed down throughout the family. Some say that is the only way to be a true witch.
    I imagine you could have been born with gifts passed down throught family lines.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• casey anthony was and another other person that kills people
    Anonymous

• I agree with the first 2 posters... take some time and research your 3x -great granny... and family lineage.. find out what type of person she was... if nothing else... a sense of pride will come out of finding our more of your families...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• It depends on your definition of "witch" if you simply mean person with "occult" or mystical abilities than yes you certainly can be born a witch. That definition is somewhat dated, but not altogether inaccurate.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yes, a person can be born a witch.
    Anonymous

• I agree with nysa00...it depends on what you associate the word "witch" with. Some people associate the word "witch" with psychic ability, others equate it with healing powers. Some equate it with knowledge, and still others associate it with something akin to evil. (As we can see by the lovely anon post above.) It sounds like you may equate "witch" with psychic ability. In that case, I would say yes because I believe you can inherit psychic ability. But you can also work to develop those abilities, so if that interests you and makes you feel a connection to your ancestor, go for it!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 3:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• You can inherit psychic ability and you can further your development. Some do not understand that in the old days witches were also known as healers. Knowing the properties of herbs and the rhythm of the earth and moon. Most definatley you can be born witch.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yes, I believe I was. I have had "Visions" and "Dreams" as well as the ability to feel and see energy in rooms or even in objects and people. As a child I was told that it was because I was a "Demon Child" - Wow... You gotta love those Christians... But when I was 11 my Grandfather died and I found out the truth. Most of my Grandfathers family, his sisters, aunts and grandmothers we all "witches." Dateing all the way back to Ireland... It's something that all the women have in common. I am today a practicing Pagan by choice... But I am a witch by blood and birth.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:54 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• See OP and Sabrina is an awesome person!!! It is not a bad thing.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2009