• In the Spotlight:

what do I do with my old liscence plates?

I have an extra liscence plate for my car that Im not going to use (its an extra, but the car is broken anyways). Do I throw it away? Can I recycle it? Am I supposed to take it to the DMV or something?

epoh

Asked by epoh at 12:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You're actually supposed to turn it in to the DMV because if you have a broke down vehicle in you driveway with expired tags on it, you can still get a ticket (stupid, huh?). I can't remember the other reason why, but as long as it's not on your car, I don't see why you have to turn it in. Keep it for a souvenir! Lol! I still have the plates from my first car!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Around here they must be turned back to DMV. So call your DMV to make sure.

Answer by Bmat at 12:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My husband has a ton hanging on the wall in the basement. A sort of story of his life, through the years and vehicles. lol
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My father in law collects them. He one from each year (in our state). He also has one for each state and made a US "map" out of license plates.
    BoiseStateMom

Answer by BoiseStateMom at 1:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• my dad used to hang them on the wall of the garage. As a kid I never really questioned it. Now that I am grown it is an interesting bit of our family history to see how the colors and styles changed over the yrs. I'm glad he did it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• In Florida you keep them. For what reason, I have no idea. The DMX does not take the expired plates back. Hang them on the wall.
    Anonymous

• duh- i meant DMV
    Anonymous