what do I do with my old liscence plates?

I have an extra liscence plate for my car that Im not going to use (its an extra, but the car is broken anyways). Do I throw it away? Can I recycle it? Am I supposed to take it to the DMV or something?

Asked by epoh at 12:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You're actually supposed to turn it in to the DMV because if you have a broke down vehicle in you driveway with expired tags on it, you can still get a ticket (stupid, huh?). I can't remember the other reason why, but as long as it's not on your car, I don't see why you have to turn it in. Keep it for a souvenir! Lol! I still have the plates from my first car!

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Around here they must be turned back to DMV. So call your DMV to make sure.

Answer by Bmat at 12:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My husband has a ton hanging on the wall in the basement. A sort of story of his life, through the years and vehicles. lol

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My father in law collects them. He one from each year (in our state). He also has one for each state and made a US "map" out of license plates.

Answer by BoiseStateMom at 1:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• my dad used to hang them on the wall of the garage. As a kid I never really questioned it. Now that I am grown it is an interesting bit of our family history to see how the colors and styles changed over the yrs. I'm glad he did it.

Answer by salexander at 1:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• In Florida you keep them. For what reason, I have no idea. The DMX does not take the expired plates back. Hang them on the wall.

• duh- i meant DMV