Would you be a foster parent?

I think I would once DH and I have house. I think as long as we are financially sound, have strong healthy relationship we could provide a loving home to children in need.

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 12:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I did. We were fp for 5 years. We adopted three of them. The two that had to leave broke my heart. We moved and don't really have the room now. Plus, my son needs a little extra time and I work outside the home. It was hard to keep up the license, do the classes and find a sitter and be productive at home and work. We don't do it anymore. But I will consider doing it again. It was a stretch on the emotions but well worth it , I have 3 beautiful kids as a result!
    3kidmom2000

Answer by 3kidmom2000 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Once my children are moved out I would consider being a foster parent. I have four children now and it would not be fair if I took in a foster child for the foster child or my child. There are so many children out there who are in need of loving homes.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I would if I didn't have a child or couldn't have children. I'm selfish and I want to devote my time to my DD. I think its wonderful that people can be generous with their homes and their lives to give foster kids a stable environment.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I admire people who foster children. It's the most selfless thing you could do. I lived in foster care and was with a great family at the age of 4. I still talk them and I'm 22. Go for it!!
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I think its interesting that people want to wait until their own children are out of the house (no. I am not judging, I can see your point). But I would think that opening your home would be a rewarding experience for them as well. Don't you it would help your children appreciate what they do have; and teach them to help others and give back to society.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 12:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I would if we had a bigger house and if my ds was not so busy, he plays travel hockey so the time that requires and the time a foster child need would just not mesh well together. I used to babysit for friends of my parents who had foster children, their own and adopted children some of those foster children would break my heart with their stories when I was a teenager so I know they need alot of emotional support and some have numerous appointments to get to.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Ive considered it. I would more likely adopt several kids before I ever did foster care. I have a hard time picturing myself growing to love a child so much, and then having that child moved to another home, whether it be another foster home, or back home with the birth parents. I have a hard time with this because I gave a child up for adoption. Even though its an open adoption, I remember the pain afterwards vividly, and I just couldn't go through it again.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I don't think I could. It would tear me apart to become attached to someone and then have them leave for the foster care.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I have thought about it all little ones deservea good stable home.
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Correct me if I am wrong, but foster kids are not just pulled from homes, right? Only if the bio parents prove to be capable parents again, or if I prove to be an bad foster parent. So it not likely that the kids will be hoping around that much.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 1:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2009