Is it normal for a 2 year old to be hungry all the time?

My older sister has a 2 yr old boy. Hes hungry all the time, when he wakes in the morning he tells her 'im hungry'..She could cook him a big breakfast 20-30 min later hes telling her 'im hungry'. I told her he probably has a tapeworm...Would like to help her

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hello i have a toddler boy as well and my number one complaint to my husband is that i get nothing done because i am always feeding and cleaning up his eating area he throws a tantrum when i tell him he has to wait to eat and so i finally gave up and just feed him smaller amounts at anytime he asks..he is not over weight at all and i am not a professional but as long as the child is active and mom doesnt mind always cooking then i see nothing wrong with it of course the tapeworm issue is something her pediatrician should figure out.:) hope this helps
    beachflower5

Answer by beachflower5 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Some kids go through growth spurts and eat all the time then then next week they don't eat at all. If she is worried then she needs to take him to be checked by a doctor.
    Anonymous

• well, that depends. my daughter has always been a snacker. so at meals she wouldnt eat that much then shortly after say she is hungry. i have to keep her to a schedule and not let her just eat when ever she wants. she then would eat all of the time. so how much is he eating at meal time? snack time etc? how is his weight? is he very active? if his weight is fine and he is active and eats good meals then i would call the doctor, and mabey just go in for a check up
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 12:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My son is 2 and he goes from not getting enough food to not wanting anything. I think its normal. I mean if they have a normal weight then there is nothing to worry about. But if she is eating a lot but losing weight then you should be worried.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 1:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yes it is normal. Keep in mind that a 2 yo is still supposed to eat 5 to 6 meals a day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. They need to eat this often because they have such small stomachs and are so active that they burn through the food in no time.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 1:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I think it's normal for a toddler to be hungry they run off so much energy. My twins really don't eat a full meal they snack through out the day. I always have sliced fruit, crackers out for them to nibble on.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My friend's son is like this. He's two and a half, and ALWAYS saying how hungry he is! I think its completely normal.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2009