Step Parents Rights?

I was just curious if anyone would know any help for me on this. I have been looking on the internet for hours now and cannot seem to find anything. My daughters father has recently gotten married to a women after 2 months of dating. In the past 3 months he has seen her twice a week, for 2 hours each time. And I am being taken to court for overnight visitations. Her father has never asked to take her (she's 2 years old) and she has never met her step mother. He works nights and would be left with the step mother and her 2 children alone (which she gave custody of to her mother and recently gotten them back) while he is at work and I wasn't sure really what the law states in this type of situation because she doesn't know either one of them really...please someone help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 AM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Relationships

• I don't know anything about the legalities, but I would tell the judge what you just posted here. It seems to me that you have a valid reason to not want these visits granted: essentially, your daughter would be with a virtual stranger overnight, a stranger who for some reason, gave up and then got back her children. Your daughter is only 2, I can't imagine she would feel comfortable with a total stranger.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:45 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• If he works nights why does he want overnight visits? He wouldn't even see her! Something sounds fishy to me! Tell the judge exactly what you said here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Odds are he would get a graduated or step plan. Where the amount of time she spends there will increase over the course of a few months until she gets to overnights...and eventually every other weekend.

It will be his time. So if he goes to work and your dd stays with stepmom, that's his choice, and nothing you can do about it unless both parties agree to Right of First Refusal. Which would mean if dad were going to be away from dd for more than a certain number of hours, he would have to call and offer you that time before anyone else.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 12:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I would talk with a lawyer and talk with him about what you stated here.
    Anonymous

• You need to get a good attorney.
    Autumnlove

Answer by Autumnlove at 9:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Say no thank you and exlain why. DOcument EVERYTHING in the event of having to go to court.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:30 AM on Jul. 21, 2008