Do you really make a birth plan and hand it to someone at the hospital?

I want an all natural birth with no pain meds and want to try to completely avoid an episiotomy. Do I write that down and hand it to someone? hahaha

I don't really understand.

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think you should give it to your dr/midwife before hand and possibly include a few copies to give to the staff or put in your chart. You can also make a sign to be taped to the door, ex: "Please Be An Angel (w/angel pic) Natural Birth In Progress" Stay home as long as possible, once you're at the hospital stay relaxed. Let them know if you want the room dark or bright and cheery, if you want to be in the rocker, take a shower, sit on a ball, or stand & slow dance with your birth partner. Make sure you have a strong one too, they can help you keep that can-do attitude. Natural birth is awesome, the high afterwards is amazing. Good luck to you! I would also suggest joining some of the natural birth groups here, they can answer a lot of your questions.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• You need to discuss it in depth with your doctor/midwife/doula, whoever's delivering your baby. After you both agree on your terms, you'll be able to hand it to the nurses in the hospital, and they'll do their absolute best to respect your wishes.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I did not have a birth plan. Mainly because the hospital I gave birth at was way to strict and most likely wouldnt have listened to my plan anyways. But yes, you simply write what you do and dont want to happen during your delivery. And as long as everything goes as planned, and the baby is handling the delivery well, they will follow your birth plan. You just have to go in knowing that things may not turn out the way you plan. Things do go wrong, and you have to do whatever is best for your baby. Good luck!!! =]
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yes! But don't just give it to someone at the hospital. Give it to your obgyn/midwife you are seeing for prenatal care. This will help you write a plausible plan, help understand what are automatics for your delivery hospitals, to make arrangements if you are not ok with these automatics, and save you from stressing on things you don't have to.

Finally it doesn't have to complicated. It can be as simple as a post-it note. In fact the briefer the better.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 1:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I know that I had to watch a movie and sign a release form when I registered in order to get pain meds if I decided I wanted them. I also had another form that you can fill out that does request exactly what you want or don't want. I think you go at 8 months pregnant.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 1:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Definitely at least tell everyone who is going to be in the room when you deliver at least. I had made and printed mine up a couple wks before I was due (I was supposed to go all-natural, drug-free, no epesio, etc). BUT I wound up being induced, so everything went out the window, and I wound up getting a Staydol shot (I was required to get some form of pain reliever bc the baby got stuck and i was in so much pain that my BP shot so high that I was at risk for having a seizure) and an epesiotomy (well 3rd degree tears). So if you really want to stick by it, tell everyone that will be delivering you. And if you change your mind about something they will let you.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Google search "birth plan generator." Browse through the list of websites and select one you like. They give you a list of common things mothers do and don't want during labor/delivery/post-partum for you to select from. You print it out at the end and give a copy to your doc and to the hospital. Be prepared though, doctors and nurses understand that people change their minds from their birth plans and will ask you what you want each time and make suggestions regardless of what your birth plan says. Of course you can say "no" but it is still their job to keep you informed. I gave birth to a 9.5lb baby and my heroic "mother-of-the-year" birth plan went out the window. I clung to the side of the delivery bed huffing at the doctor and nurses "just tell me what the to do!" Now, not every one's delivery is like that; keep an open mind.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• This was really helpful when I started making my birth plan. Also, they say that if you want to go natural, you should always have a birth plan.
    http://www.babycenter.com/calculators-birthplan
    doubleyouteeeff

Answer by doubleyouteeeff at 11:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2009