Cheese and yogurt for babies

What age can you give a baby cheese and yogurt? My daughter isn't on solids yet but I was just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't give too early, wait till shes at least over a year. The reason being is that the eariler you introduce those foods, the higher the probability that they will develop an allergy to them. Especially with cows milk products. If its a soy product I would say about a year.
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 1:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I wouldn't do it until at least 9 mos, provided that they are on solids at that time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I gave her yogurt at 4 months. They have this organic baby yogurt called "yobaby" and it comes in a couple of flavors. I waited more close to a year to give her cheese on it's own. But if I made mac and cheese she would try that. It's really kind of up to you and your judgement.
    ColorMeCurvy

Answer by ColorMeCurvy at 1:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• You don't have to wait a year for cheese or yogurt. They aren't the same as milk (although made from milk... it's not the same)
    Usually I think yogurt can be given around 7-8 months (but I have also heard 6 months is fine)
    and cheese around the time they are ready for finger foods (8-9 months)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My 8 month old loves yogurt. It started by accident when I gave her a bite, she was about 7 months, I didnt know if it was ok to feed it to her so I looked up on line and it said that it was actually good for them, as it has cultures that help with general immune system. I also read that cows milk is not "bad" for babies but breast milk and formula are better for the first year as they have more stuff in them to aid in development.
    leeh5

Answer by leeh5 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• In fact one of my 8 months old favorites is the gerber graduates yogurt bites
    leeh5

Answer by leeh5 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2009