What could be blocking his sinuses?

My son for the last three days has been stopped up, but when I look in his nose to see if it is snot or boogers there is nothing there. But when he breathes through his nose he sounds really blocked. (and no he has not put anything up his nose) No fever, still eathing, kinda laying around more then normal but still playing. Any body have any suggestions as to what could be blocking his sinuses?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• mucus. it's probably plugged up there. it's stuffy but not running.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 2:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yor sinusus's are also in your face behind your cheeks. Just because there is nothing in his nostrils does not mean that his sinus's are clear. He may have an infection or just a cold that will have to run its coarse.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yup I agree with the pp's. You could give him a decongestant to get things going, but then expect a flood. That would also be good if he seems bothered by pressure behind his eyes, face, ears etc..

I don't think it needs a doctor visit unless he seems to get better and then spikes a fever, that is usually a sign of a secondary infection that would require antibiotics.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 5:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• You can also try a steam bath. I had to do it alot with the baby.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 6:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• As suggested by the previous posters, his sinus cavities (there are 6 in all) are probably full of mucous. He might have an allergy to something either in the home or that is currently in the air... another thing to be aware of is that a change in the weather can often bring these symptoms on.

I would suggest you consider talking to his pediatrician.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 3:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2009