Is the Church Prideful?

Seeing as it is one of the 7 deadly sins....I imagine it shouldn't be. But do you think it is?

What do you view as being prideful?
Is boasting of one's Charitable efforts prideful? (especially comparing your efforts to other groups/individuals?)

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 8:29 AM on Apr. 10, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Pride is one of the oldest sins and you are right that it is one of the seven. I'm not aware of my church being guilty of this. Churches are made up of people so it is not only possible but probable.

Just the excitement of witnessing what God does through the church for those in need could be mistaken for pride. As long as the focus is on God and not on us it isn't pride, IMO. The way I look at it is that God is the one who gives my husband the ability to provide for our family and us the ability to see the needy through His eyes. Jesus says that whoever takes care of the least of us takes care of Him. He also says that our giving (for the individual) should be done privately so as not to be seen as showing off. We should also give God the glory through every thing that we do.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 10, 2012

• It can be that's why I don't like to talk about things like that. However I can see the other side of it, if you don't show people what their efforts have helped create how do you continue with your charitable work. You need other people to donate money and time. Also if you never talk about positive things that happened you can end up only focusing on the negative.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2012

• I thought it was funny to see such prideful people think they were humble when I use to go to church. Yes i was judgmental at least I'm not delusional about it. Just listening to their higher standered of life, they have true morals. The fact to think years of evolution and dying off of so many species so a god can have a so called group believe in him or go to hell is prideful imo.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 9:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Is boasting of one's Charitable efforts prideful? (especially comparing your efforts to other groups/individuals?)--

is comparing any different (than boasting), be it from a Church standpoint, or not? charity is charity..if someone or group benefits from it, what does it profit someone to boast or question the manner in which charity was given? it a catch-22, though. if you don't want to be seen as prideful (in the sense of 'self'), you don't talk about your actions, so it seems. however, if you don't 'prove' your charitable acts to those who question you (and you are always questioned, always compared to someone else, by others), they think they've 'proved' you to be uncharitable. *shrugs*
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:07 AM on Apr. 10, 2012

• The spent over 100 years killing each other arguing about it. For that much wholesale slaughter, there has to be some truth to it. If not, that's over 100 years of insanity.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:17 AM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Looking at some of these huge opulent churches, I would have to say yes, yes they are very prideful. That's just the buildings, now, let's look at the people on the inside ... look at how they look down on other people who don't come to church dressed to the nines.

Let's not forget the "WE are going to Heaven while YOU are NOT b/c YOU don't believe exactly the same way WE do" attitude that some seem to have.

Prideful? Very much so.

(not all, but you know what I mean)
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2012

• In a word, YES.
    Not all churches or all of it's parishoner's mind you. But as a WHOLE, YES.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Is Christ prideful?

No.

Do people ever want to point out what God is capable of?
    Yes.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2012

• I think the church can be prideful. In one of the letters to the seven church in the Book of Revelation is a warning about a prideful church.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:54 AM on Apr. 10, 2012

• I suppose it depends on the manner and purpose for the distribution of the information.
    Is the Church prideful, no. Individuals well some are some aren't.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2012