What is "Ghetto" supposed to mean?

I have heard this term thrown around loosely lately and it kind of upsets me because I'm not sure why people think they can just say that. And when I hear it, its usually in reference to a white person doing something a black person would do, whether it be dress or the use of different terms in speech. What is that all about??

k.alexander

Asked by k.alexander at 1:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Being Ghetto definetely is a term that puts someone down...putting them in a lower social class. As we know, ghettos originate from the poor, the uneducated and the minorities being forced into certain neighborhoods. That's a ghetto. My grandma and father were raised and still reside in the "ghetto" and they are white. It doesn't just refer to black people....I think it's just poor people in general. I think the term today means that the person acts "poor" "trashy" or "uneducated" whatever that means...it's pretty subjective.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 1:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I personally have heard it used when people are improvising something... ie using duct tape to fix something. I have also heard it used talking poorly of someone's neighbor hood....
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 1:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• The first ghettos were in Poland - it's the fenced in neighborhoods where Hitler kept the Jews he didn't outright kill. That is what it is "supposed" to mean.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• y does it upset wen ppl think they can use it ... its not like its a cuss word or anything
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 1:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Wow, this questions is so ghetto!! Lol
    Anonymous

• First, thanks for the educated answers. I appreciate that. I do know what a ghetto is but in my experience it was used as a term to identify a person that is not black doing something that a black person might do. I wasn't trying to start anything. I just wanted some responses.

Second, to the coward going anon with the smart response next time, spell check.

I
    k.alexander

Answer by k.alexander at 2:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• It is a racial derogatory term. Saying something is "ghetto" is like saying it is black and low class.

Anonymous

• It's not always referred to colored people. Infact, it's just lower class neighborhoods referred to the "ghetto"
    You can talk ghetto.
    You can dress ghetto
    You can live ghetto
    No matter what color you are.
    Anonymous

• I never heard it used to refer to a white person doing something a black person would do..... I've always thought that it was just a description for a person that was just lax in their interpretation of social rules, moral behavior or personal attitude. Like I have a family that lives next to me..... weeds in the back yard are 5 ft tall, beer bottles, food containers & antifreeze jugs laying around the front yard, they "borrow" everything from my phone to toilet paper,are always out in the front yard, music blaring, talking and yelling and whooping in up at 3AM on Sunday nite, the girls that live there yell at the other women on the street (usually racial slurs), and their babies run around with no shoes outside in the winter.... IMO they are very Ghetto. Unfortunately, they are also black. But then there's another family on our street the same way, and they're mixed (Hispanic and white), Ghetto all day.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Saying colored people is ghetto.
    Anonymous