About Constipation During Pregnancy

I know that my OB can prescribe a stool softener for me but I don't go back until February.

Are there OTC brands that are safe to take or should I get the prescription?

madamekatekate

Asked by madamekatekate at 1:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• any stool softner is ok but i would still check with your dr first because he may think other wise since every dr is different. Till then you can try drinking prune juice yes i know gross or Plum start its actually pretty good. Also try Kyro syrupe about a teaspoon in some hot tea of your choice. good luck.
    Anonymous

• Eat plenty of greens & fruits, fiber and water. It's always best to go natural and not use any medicine during pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• There are several OTC medications that are considered 'safe' during pregnancy. Milk of Magnesium is one of them and I find that it works well. I am also pregnant and have experienced the same problem. MOM seems to help for me.
    lathena

Answer by lathena at 1:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• FIBER!!! eat Raisin bran cereal...apple juice, apples, raisins...those kind of foods
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 1:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• When I was pregnant with DS I had some constipation in the beginning. It was really bad, and I don't like drinking weird things. So I called my OBGYN and asked about taking a pill stool softener. He recommend I use the Equate Brand from Wal-Mart, and take based on the directions, it worked well for me, and it didn't cost too much.
    MomTo2BabesTX

Answer by MomTo2BabesTX at 2:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Drink warm water, you can take metamucil (the store brand is perfectly fine and actually what I was recommended by my doc).
    LoveMyBlessings

Answer by LoveMyBlessings at 4:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I just experienced the same issues starting this week! My OB said it's completely normal and taking a stool softener daily is fine. They also recommended to add a LOT of fiber to my diet - Fiber One cereal, Metemucil bars, etc. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• My Dr. suggested Maalox for me, ...so far, it hasn't really worked.
    AshleyRoseG

Answer by AshleyRoseG at 9:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2009