What should I do?

So my 16 year old daughter just found out that she is pregnant. What in the world am I going to do? I have no idea what to do. I would appriciate it if someone who has gone through the same thing could help me out. Thanks.

rebecca214

Asked by rebecca214 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You need to be there for her. She need you right now, because things are going to get hard. Remember, this is about her. Is the father involved? You all need to sit down together and make a plan.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I was 16 when I got pregnant w/ my son.. My mom flipped out.. Beat me, cussed me, everything she could do to turn aganist me.. DON"T do that to your daughter.. Be there for her.. She is NOT the first and she won't be the last.. Set down w/ her and figure out what is best for her and the baby.. I wish you all the best!!
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 2:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My 16 year old cousin recently had a baby...it was a huge shock for the entire family and my aunt almost lost it. She was so emotional and I seriously thought she was going to have a nervous breakdown. I just want to let you know that everything turned out okay. It seems like the end of the world, but it's just simply a detour. You two will have to find a different route to her future. My cousin now attends a highschool for teenage mothers, where she can bring her baby to school. She lives with her mom and although my aunt helps out, she leaves most of the raising of the baby up to my aunt. It was a big wake up call for my cousin; she lost a lot of so called friends and had to completely re evaluate her priorities. Good luck and let your daughter know that you are dissapointed by her decisions, but that you will be there to support her.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 2:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Sorry! I meant to write that my aunt leaves most of the raising of the baby up to my cousin :)
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 2:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• just be there for her offer her advice , make sure she finishes school... babys coming so while you dont have to like it your gonna love that child, you know you will.
    allensavannahs

Answer by allensavannahs at 2:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Be calm. Be helpful. Call the school nurse and the guidance counselor first thing Monday and ask for resources and advice on how to keep her in school, what
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 2:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• services are available if you want her to be home while she is pregnant. Find a family counselor if you think you need one to talk to her about what she want to do.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 2:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I am 16 and 21 weeks pregnant!
    I was thankful for having a supportive and loving mom.
    The one thing she needs right now is for you to be there and love her.
    Just support her in any way!
    KatieJeremy

Answer by KatieJeremy at 2:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I was 16 when I had my son. Be supportive of her. Hopefully the father is involved, but if not that's fine. Mine isn't. My father helped me raise my son for a few years, but he was very strict with me. I am grateful for that. I see a lot of parents raising their childrens children. I babysat to earn money to pay for the things we needed to survive.
    I offer one bit of advise it is be to make sure she learns that this is real. I took being a parent seriouslly. It's not your baby, so you shouldn't be the primary caregiver.
    I'm very happy with my choices, and love my son dearly. I am very blessed to have a supportive Dad too. I have since married and had another child. We do very well. So life isn't over! I just had a head start; that's all. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• First calm down. It will be alright. God already has a plan for the both of you. My daughter was pregnant at 15. I cried for days and was angry. I was barely working myself trying to take care of my own children. I had to basically stop working so she could go to school once she had the baby. Long story short, I look at him now and say boy did I do a good job of raising him when I thought I couldnt. Most importantly show your daughter support. Although she is young, it is wrong, give her guidance and support, she is still a child. Im here to talk if you need to. Ive been there and almost had to go there again.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 5:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2009