bed sharing nightmare

My husband made the fatal mistake of letting our son sleep with us when he was first born. He had really bad colic and reflex when he was born and laying on our chest was the only way to relive the little guy, but now at eighteen months and quite a bad habit, we just can't break him of sleeping with us. We tried sitting in the room with him when putting him to sleep and even the crying it out. But a few nights ago, during a crying it out session instead of crying it out, he climbed out of his crib and fell. He was alright though though it gave me a heart attack. Now everytime we put him in his crib he climbs out even though its as low as it can go. What can we do now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hang in there it will get better, but its gonna be hard. they do make crib tents so that they cannot get out.
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Keep bed sharing until he's 2. Then he might understand a little better.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• i think you should put the crib in your room.you should try etting him sleep on your bed at 1st then carry him to his crib without waking your son up. then pat his butt to make sure he falls back to sleep. then wait in the room for about 15 mins to make sure he's ok. then leave the room. or if you want take a nap in the same room with him to once he cries you just show up and show him that everyone is ok mommy is here.

you should try putting him in his crib during nap times 1st.. once hes use to it go for nights too..
    Anonymous

• what number 3 said
    henderson20

Answer by henderson20 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• We also had the same problem. Our son slept in our bed for 21 months. We tried putting him in his crib "in our room". But he cried for 2 weeks. So my husband and I devised a plan. We took him to the mall and allowed him to run and play for 2 hours. We got home around 9pm. We moved his crib into HIS room. We had already bought a crib tent. So, we put it on the crib.So that he wouldn't jump out and hurt himself. I made a pallet for myself on the floor. And I put my little boy in HIS crib in HIS room last night. He cried for about 30 minutes. But he was so tired from his "mall outing." That he crawled under the covers and went to sleep. He woke up around 3am. I was still on the floor in his room. When he saw me he cried for a moment. Then he went back to sleep. He woke up at 7am. It's the best sleep I've had in weeks. TRY IT. :)
    JourdansMommy

Answer by JourdansMommy at 4:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• WE ARE HAVING THE SAME TROUBLE. It is a nightmare. I'm 6 weeks pregnant and I'm worried once i get further along he will kick me. He refuses to sleep in his toddler bed. Hes two now. He will be asleep and when we got to put him in his bed he instantly wakes up. Its most irritating let me tell ya! Definately get the child to sleep in their bed as soon as possible because the older they are the harder it is.
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 6:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• That's exactly why I never even STARTED letting my kids sleep in my bed. My youngest had colic pretty bad until she was 4 months, but even then...because I knew what would happen.

A crib tent is a good idea, but you should also talk to your son so that he understands that climbing out of the crib is a no-no, and discipline him however you see fit when he does (because he's now thinking its ok to just climb out). You may also need to put a gate up in his room so that even if he gets out of his crib, he can't get out of his room.

Its definitely going to take some time, but be persistant and don't give in to him wanting to sleep in your room. He'll eventually get the message.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Wow, why not let your child stay? They are only babies for such a short time. Why not enjoy it while you can? It's crazy to see how fast parents want to ship their kids as far from them as possible.
    Anonymous

• whoa, fatal?? does he try to kill you in your sleep or something?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• your baby finally went to sleep because he was so exhausted from crying for 30 minutes, NOT because he was tired from his mall outing.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2009