Can I get a cavity filled..

if I'm pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• hell yeah you can..i had to get 2 fillings due to when my wisdom teeth were removed lol...they'll fill those bad boys and give you novacaine (:
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 1:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• IF you do, then get a white filling. The silver fillings are made up of I BELIEVE 50% liquid mercury. It WILL get to your baby. Mercury causes all sorts of damage. You could look into ways of treating your tooth naturally until the baby comes...but if you breast feed, you'll still give the mercury to the baby. Contact me with any questions. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I worked in a dentists office and it is completely up to the dentist and your OB. The dentist I worked for would only see and work on a pg woman if it was an ER, like an abscess on a tooth or an incredibly painful cavity. He wouldnt even do a cleaning on them. Some dentists have no problems working on pg women. I would speak to your OB and look around for a dentist who works on pg women.
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Go here to see what exactly happens when mercury is in your body: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VImCpWzXJ_w
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• --OP here-- Well the thing is I know I have had this cavity for at least 6 months, and I don't want it to turn into and expensive/painful root canal by waiting until after July (when im due). And I may sound like a pansy, but I want to be able to have some kinda pain medication when they do it so it doesn't hurt...this is my first cavity, lol.
    Anonymous

• Talk to the dentist...but yes you can get one filled.
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I had two dentists tell me they wouldn't even do a cleaning while i was pregnant.. and they definatly won't give you pain meds. Those really arn't good for the baby.
    Anonymous