Can I freeze my ham bone and use it later

I have a ham bone and it has alot of meat on it and would like to freeze to use later. Also if I can freeze can I just use it frozen or do I need to thaw it out before using?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 12:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2012 in Food & Drink

• You can freeze it just make sure you wrap it up tight to protect it from freezer burn. And whether or not you thaw it depends on what you are doing with it. :0) If you are using it in soup or to make stock you don't *have* to thaw it but it might be easier.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• My sister uses the ham bone to make beans (my mom use to make beans this way-delicious) but she does thaw it out overnight in the fridge. She does freeze it.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:43 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Yes I have froze a ham bone. I use it for soups. I have left it frozen and just put it in the crock pot.
    Mrs.Elgert

Answer by Mrs.Elgert at 12:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Good question.. I was thinking the same thing about my ham bone to make split pea soup with it later on.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Yep, I freeze them all the time. I thaw them out before using.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• I buy a large ham JUST for this perk! YES... you can freeze your ham/bone. I use it for seasoning green beans, soup beans, or anything that you need to add seasoning to. I have even eaten left over ham (thawed) on sandwiches.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Yes you can freeze it. If you are going to use it later for a soup you may not need to defrost it, just throw it into the pot and it will cook and defrost then.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Yes, it will have plenty of time to defrost in beans.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2012

• Absolutely. Ham and lentil soup is really delicious. Be sure to wrap the hambone in plastic wrap then either freezer wrap or heavy duty foil. You should use it within 3 months.
    kbpegasus

Answer by kbpegasus at 6:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2012