I have a question about adoption

Okay so I myself am not adopting a child but a friend of mine is considering it. She did not want to make an account here on cafemom as she has no children and is not expecting any so I told her I would ask this for her. She is 30 years old and not married. She is very healthy and she is not overweight. She is not married and she is an Interior Designer. She wanted me to ask if there was a country that she could possibly adopt from. Thank you for your help.

rebecca214

Asked by rebecca214 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Adoption

• Oops...the joy of parenthood. DD hit the Anon and the Answer Question before I could stop her.

Anyways, I did a search and at http://international.adoption.com/ at the bottom right, there's a section called Country Information that could probably help you with the rules of each individual country.

AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• USA
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure which countries she can adopt from internationally though I'm sure there are several. She can also adopt here either private or give a waiting child a loving home. There are tons of children waiting in the foster care system for someone to choose to love them.
    mommy9

Answer by mommy9 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• What would her weight have to do with it? Are there some countries that disqualify you based on weight?
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• PortAngeles.. haha.. That's what I was thinking! I think that she was implying that she's healthy physically.. you know? It's hard to keep up with kids!
    rainfalls

Answer by rainfalls at 6:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Well someone else that she knows that adopted a child told her that some countries I think like China have some type of rules about being heathy. Probably so a few years down the road the child will still have a family. I don't know of thats true or not though so I thought I would add that.
    rebecca214

Answer by rebecca214 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• There are some countries you cannot adopt from if you are more than so many pounds overweight. I think they assume being over weight automatically means poor health or something.
    m_ellingson

Answer by m_ellingson at 10:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• China now looks at parents weight.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• China will no longer accept singles or anyone with a BMI over 40. Korea has weight restrictions as well, and I don't think they allow singles, but I could be wrong there. I believe Ethiopa is open to singles. Russia might be too, but I'm not sure. Rules change all the time and she is probably best served by talking with some agencies. They will have the most up-to-date info.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 4:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2009