Would you still work there?

I am upset right now. There is a company I sometimes do work for, it is one that I can just sign up to work when I want to. I do not have to work but if I sign up for a job I have to be there. My grandma passed away last week and I have family in town. I did not sign up to work. I got a call last night asking why I was not there. I told him I was not signed up to work. I explained why. He acted rude and like he didn't believe me. He said "I don't have time to get into all that right now, I have to hustle to find a replacement for you now!" I logged online to my schedule to verify and printed out the evidence I was not scheduled. I am upset at the mans attitude toward me, to the point where I am not certain I want to work for them anymore. This is not our main source of income, although the extra I have earned through them has been very helpful. Should I just quit over this or stick it out anyway?

AprilD32

Asked by AprilD32 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• Don't make any decision right now. You are grieved and busy with family. You sure didn't need one more thing to think about. He is understandably upset because of what he THINKS happened. If you like it and it is working for you, think about sticking with it and being assertive. Bring in your proof and let him know that you are reliable and didn't appreciate the tone in his voice indicating he thought otherwise. You understand his frustration but he was sending it to the wrong person and you hope he will give the benefit of the doubt in the future. I think that is enough. It's nice if our coworkers and bosses are considerate of our personal lives, but they don't have to be. Since he was stressed, it would be big of you to let that part of it go. Under other circumstances, he may have cared more.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 2:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Don't let this rude man ruin what you have going with the company. He may have been mistaken and may be having a bad day. I'd just brush it off. If it comes up again, just politely show him your schedule as proof that you were not scheduled to work that particular day. I'd just give it another shot....don't just call it quits because of one situation.
    Anonymous

• This happened to me too, and I told them that I was going to contact the EOC (Equal Opportunity Commission) and told them that I was being treated unfairly by a equal opport employer and they then called back and apologized and offered me a job the next day. I then thought about it and told him that because of his unprofessionalism that I would rather not return.  If you dont' need it, find something else to do.  If you can get him to treat you better when you call back then use your gut.

dgoodson

Answer by dgoodson at 2:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• He may have felt that he could expect you and was disappointed and surprised. I don't mean this in a bad way. Sometimes we have an informal understanding with someone and are surprised when they have other plans. Add to this he may have been tired and stressed and that maybe somebody who had signed up didn't show, and you were on the receiving end of a bad mood. Don't leave the job. It sounds like an idea arrangement. When you see him again you could tell him you were sorry there was a mix-up and you could offer to show him the printout. But I think I'd be inclined to let it drop. He may have realized by then that his behavior was boorish and uncalled for and be embarrassed. So be your usual sweet and hardworking self and see how it goes. My deepest sympathies for you and your family on the loss of your grandmother.

Answer by Bmat at 2:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• ^^^ "ideal arrangement"

Answer by Bmat at 2:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I would take your print out in and go over his head if you need to,
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 3:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I worked for a rude boss with rude employees for a long time. Eventually I just left because once they say something to you like that it stays in your head. You want to be appreciated not disrespected. Now is not the time for you to deal with this. Evidently he had no remorse for your loss. Concentrate on family right now. If its not the main source of income I wouldnt worry about it.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 5:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2009