Have you bought a house without your spouse on the loan or title?

My husband and I are nearing the end of our lease and our 2 years after bankruptcy is done..so we can finally start looking for a house. However, our marriage isn't very stable and I don't want to end up getting a divorce and having to deal with a house. Has anyone bought a house without having their spouse on the loan or title? Is it possible?

Ms.Maricel

Asked by Ms.Maricel at 6:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2012 in Home & Garden

• if you have the income, you can do it..although, if you get a divorce, it might be included in 'halfsies'..depending on your state.
    why not wait to buy the house, when your divorce is final?
    buying a house is a big deal and if your marriage is struggling, i wouldn't think now would be a good time for it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Depends on the state. I know in Wisconsin, I couldn't get a loan without my husband signing for the title and he couldn't get one without me signing. This was for our vehicles.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Whether or not they are on the title, in most states the house is marital property and would be considered a joint asset. If your marriage isn't stable I do not recommend buying a house.

Answer by missanc at 7:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Could become part of the property separation in a divorce.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Impossible - the paperwork won't be drawn up without both of you on the title.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2012

• I don't think that is a good idea if you are getting a divorce
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2012