Benadryl for traveling with toddler?

I am just about 2 months away from flying from LA to London, England non-stop with my 3 year old. I have been talking to other moms and I was surprised when a few of them suggested benadryl to make her sleepy during the flight. Have you ever done this? I dont know how I feel about doing that.
Opinions?
Thank you.

And it will be a red eye flight, so leavi around 5 or 6 pm and flying through the night.

Mme.Langley

Asked by Mme.Langley at 6:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2012 in Travel

• Don't dope your kiddo up. Make sure she has something to suck on for take off and landing and wear her out during the day before the flight.

I don't know if you have ever given her benadryl, but it hypes my DS up so if you do use it, make sure you know the effects beforehand.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• I uave never given it to her before. And I dont even really like giving her tylenol, unless she really needs it.
    Thanks kmath!
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• My mom used to give us Dramamine. It's actually for motion sickness but a side effect is drowsiness. I've never used it, but I remember the "banana medicine" from when I was little and never suffered any ill effects.

Answer by missanc at 6:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Thank you missanc
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Ugh I tried that many years ago flying from Italy to the US with my daughter. This was based on a doctors recommendation who even wrote the script. It had the opposite effect on my daughter and she was bouncing off walls. Never again.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Don't drug her. If it's her usual sleep time, she will sleep. She does need something to suck on for take-off and landing.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 6:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• It can backfire. Some kids react to benadryl by getting super hyped up. And that is NOT what you want.

I would just skip it honestly. It is a late flight and if you keep her up during the day she should sleep that night on the flight. Bring lots of activities and the best invention ever... a dvd player. Keep to your normal routine as best as you can. Jammies, brush teeth, read stories and so on so that she still has some normalcy.

Good luck.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• Get "Calms Forte 4 Kids." It's a SAFE, homeopathic for children from Hyland's.

Don't use Benadryl.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 7:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• I gave DD some on our flight from Seattle to Japan but it didn't really make her sleepy.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2012

• I used to use Melatonin.
    Junesmommy18

Answer by Junesmommy18 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2012