Can you take cold meds with blood pressure meds while breastfeeding? HELP!

I'm dying of a cold, you guys! I went and bought a bottle of DayQuil but now I'm not sure if I can take it. I'm on blood pressure medicine (Procardia) and I'm also breast-feeding. What do you think? Do you think I can mix the two meds? And is dayquil ok to take while breastfeeding? My ob's office is closed (of course) so I can't call til Monday, but I really really need some relief!

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 2:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was told any cold medication can dry up your breast milk. My Doctor told me not to take any while nursing and so did the lactation specialist.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• um, i don't take ANY drugs except maybe tylenol in a rare instance while breastfeeding. what kind of cold do you have? you can look up safe alternatives to keep you comfortable. but stay away from the dayquil!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I am coughing up dark brown phlegm, I have a headache, congestion in my head and my chest... I can't stop coughing either. What would you suggest? I mean I know SOME things are ok to take, bc hell, they had me on percocets the first couple weeks after coming home and I was breastfeeding.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Oh that sucks! So what can I do to feel better? I've been taking Motrin for my headache, but that's not doing anything for the cold lol!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2009