Should I have my 6 year old daughter tested for ADHD??

My daughter is showing very definite signs of ADHD at home and at school. She is highly creative and extremely smart (she goes to a resource room for an hour a day to work on upper level things, this is relatively new), but has very disruptive behavior at school and frustrating behavior at home. She can't listen, she can't sit still, she constantly interrupts, she is highly emotional, she can't focus on a task or homework, loses things, can't keep her room clean, and the only way I can get her to sit thru a meal is with the TV on. Her father and I would like to move forward in getting her tested but friends and family think she's just acting out because she's bored at school, tension between her dad and I, diet, etc. I am not the type of mom to panic or jump to conclusions. I have done my research, and everything points to ADHD but I'm being confused by my friends and family. I need an unbiased opinion.

cassielee_83

Asked by cassielee_83 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• One more thing.....if the behaviors are at school and in the home, that makes me more adamant that you do the evaluation. School is one dynamic, but the home is another. She is consistent with the behavior, so I think being bored may be slightly less of a reason why she is behaving this way. Best wishes.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Get an independent evaluation if you are worried. Friends and family may be worried and trying to help but you know your kid best. If she is acting out due to boredom at school they will be able to tell. This being said, try for an evaluation by someone who has no agenda for diagnosis. The school may want your kid medicated to be easier to deal with. I went through Children's Mental Health through the state for my foster child which was nice. It was not the school and they don't do treatment so they get no money for a diagnosis.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I say her ass needs a spanking. To hell with ADHD There is nothing wrong with her. She's doing what YOU allow her to do.
    Anonymous

• If you feel an evaluation is warranted, the do it!! It's not going to hurt her at all, and even if you DON'T get a diagnosis, the developmental pediatrician can guide you to someone who can help you.

I do have to say to turn off the TV at meals. My son can't sit perfectly still during a meal, but he has learned to sit on the bench until he's done eating. (basically...if he gets down, I take his plate and he knows it now lol)

Do your friends and family live with her 24/7? What do her teachers say? If they are saying there is a problem, then it should be checked out.

And as for those who don't know you and say there's nothing wrong with her...they don't live with her either....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• MY GOSH Anonymous you are an idiot I swear. Why would you leave such a ignorant answer like that and then hide behind anonymous? Grow UP!!

Cassielee.....you are the mom. You know your daughter better then anyone else. Follow what your instincts tell you to do. You dont even have to discuss with your family and friends when you do it. Its none of there business. Best Of Luck with your extremly bright and energetic girl!
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I would recommend the evaluation. She may not have it, and if she does this is a step in the right direction to make plans at home and school to help her. It does not mean she will be taking medication, but maybe that is something you, her father, and doctor can discuss. As a teacher, it is incredibly hard to keep a class focused when issues like you've described go on in my class. I know your alliance is to your child, but one classroom is typically full of 20+ kids. I think being fair to all is necessary.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• With a diagnosis, the school can offer additional help, make behavioral plans, and utilize IEP (individual education plans) to help monitor your child's progress. I generally don't see kids so bored that they disrupt a class constantly. Those kids seem to have needs that need assessment and identification. She could be gifted and these assessments could help steer her to programs in that area too. I would follow your instincts, as mom, and see what happens.
    Teachermom01

• Do not discuss it with family anymore. They are not who are raising her everyday. If you feel she needs some help, then get it for her. :) But I understand your asking the ones you trust because I do the same thing.
    My daughter was showing some of these signs and it turned out she was GT. If I did not give her enough activity or attention, we would have explosions. She is getting the level of education that she needs now and we are not having those sorts of problems My daughter was not to the extreme you are mentioning though..but some of those things...
    Talk with the school and talk with your Dr.
    Anonymous

• As a step-mom of a child with ADHD and anxiety disorder and language processing I think you should have her evaluated. Obviously something is going on with her and the soner you get her the help she needs the sooner she can progress and learn better. ADHD children are usually very creative and they are extremely smart they just need help focusing and very importantly a structured life. Making a structured setting for her will greatly improve her ability to do everyday things that are difficult due to her hyperactiveness and inability to focus.

As far as anonymous you are ignorant and stupid. If being physical with you children is the first thing you chose to do then maybe someone should evaluate you as a mom. She is a 6 year old child that could quite possibly have a true and serious learning disability that is NOT HER FAULT!
    helen7554

Answer by helen7554 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My son who is now 12 has ADHD he had the same symptoms as your daughter and I listened to my family until it was all most to late to get him help in school. He got diagnosed at about 9 becasue he was having such a hard time in school and started getting bad grades even though he was VERY smart. After getting diagnosed and starting medicine it was a trial an error trying to get the right dose. After we got all the side affects worked out and dose just right he is doing amazing. He makes almost straight A's and is in Gifted and Talented program in school. I know it is a hard dicision and it will take some research to understand the disease just right. If you ever need someone to talk to just let me know.
    vampobsessed

Answer by vampobsessed at 9:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2009