Wine while pregnant?

I heard that you can have a glass of wine every one to two weeks during the last trimester of the pregnancy. How do you ladies feel about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• To me is it worth the risks ? Low or not it is still alcohol and you never know how it may affect the baby.
    I would wait to drink until after the birth or when i was done breastfeeding since it should be about the baby first in this situation.
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 3:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• NO. Do research on fetal alcohol syndrome.

Anonymous

• Actually, my OB did tell me it is ok to have a SINGLE glass of red wine once a week during the last trimester. FAS happens during the EARLY MONTHS and it is not caused by a single glass of wine. I would talk to your OB to see what s/he says.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• You can talk to your OB. I have had maybe 6-7 oz of wine total this entire pregnancy. Not in one sitting but I do have a couple of sips every once in a while. FAS will not happen with an occasional glass of wine, only in the US do we have such strict rules on drinking during pregnancy, and it's because our society is really snobby.

If you want to have a rare glass (which is 4-5 oz) do so.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Well I would definately say NO. I mean there isnt any research that actually says wine does your body any good? So what is the point in drinking it?
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 5:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I heard that to when I was prego...but no no no..to risky..not worth a lifetime of damage and disability.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 6:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• alcoohol is classified as a teratogen that means it causes birth defects. It is the leading teratogen. alcohol crosses the placenta and baby breaks it down more slowly than you do baby will have a higher level of alcohol than you and it stays elevated longer for baby than for you. There is no safe level of alcohol during pregnancy. Alcohol even in small amounts can cause birth defects, physical,mental, behavioral, emtional. the more alcohol you consume the more likely it is your Tbaby will have these problems. Too much alcohol and your baby will develop fetal alcohol poisoning.It is not curable. One drink is all it takes to kill brain cells in an adult how much more is that damage to an unborn or new born baby. That is why we are told to avoid alcohol not because we are snobby but because we dont want sick babies.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 11:54 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• An informative website for you is. cehr.niehs.nih.gov/common/alcohol.html
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 12:20 AM on Jan. 25, 2009