My 9 week old son has just tested pos. for RSV..any tips for getting him over it sooner then 2 weeks and how could I keep him the most comfortable...

Dawn1000

Asked by Dawn1000 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The same thing happened to my 4 week old,my 2 yr old and my self last year. It was the sickest I think I have ever been. The key for the kid's was lot's and LOT'S of warm vapors I had 5 all around the house . STEAM showers any time he got congested. I let him sleep in his swing. The doctor also prescibed a nebulator because he would cough and cough until he was almost blue, The nebulator really helped . I would ask your Dr. If you don't already have one. The first week was the hardest My best advice would be DON'T get sick yourself. Good luck My prayers are with you.
    momontherun32

Answer by momontherun32 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• It's a virus. It has to run it's course. There are no medicines you can give, no treatments to help get him over it sooner. I know...my youngest had it at 5 weeks (1 adjusted) but we weren't lucky enough for him to stay home.

Keep his head elevated.

Steam him in the bathroom and suction what you can see.

Saline nasal drops, and suction what you can see....only what you can see. Too much suctioning can cause the nasal passages to swell, making it harder for him to breathe.

Tylenol for discomfort making sure it's the correct dosage.

Watch him closely for dehydration (if he starts having difficulty eating)

Watch his breathing. If he starts having difficulty breathing...nostrils flaring, chest sucking in, lips and/or nail beds turning blue...get him to the ER.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• these 2 ladies have great advice. do whatever you can to keep yoursrelf healthy, it is so much harder if you are sick too. (been there done that)
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 4:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• For what it's worth...my son was in the NICU for a week with it. We were told that nebulizer treatments really didn't do anything to help with RSV and/or bronchiolitis (which often accompanies it...my youngest had both)

He came very close to going on a ventilator three times, and came right back three times. He never went on the vent. He is one of the "bad" ones. His case is not typical. A lot of kids have it and the parents don't even know!

RSV will give you a lot of ups and downs. It will play games with your mind. He will be better one minute and the next...a coughing, snotty mess. Just keep an eye on him and treat him as you would with a cold. My son made his major turn around when they started giving him oxygen saturated with humidity.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Make sure you suction him and if at anytime you think there is somthing off about him, take him to the ER. I waited and my daughter was in the hospital and almost was put on a ventilator. It was horrible!
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• RSV is a virus and needs to run it's course. It produces a very thick mucus which can clog up the airways. The smaller the baby, the smaller their airways. My son was 8 days old when he got RSV and spent nearly a month in PICU on a vent and then another month at home on oxygen. All you can really do is what the moms above mentioned about keeping him comfortable and watch for signs of resp distress. Take him to the ER immediately if you feel he is having any difficulty breathing. These little guys can do downhill very quickly. The virus itself can live up to 12 hours on surfaces, therefore it's very easily spread. The best way to try and prevent everyone in your home from getting it is to wash your hands frequently, use hand sanitizers and then lysol everything in your home. Best of luck!
    julesr475

Answer by julesr475 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• my 13 month old got RSV at the age of 10 days....he was hospitalized for 7days and put on oxygen for 6 days. To this day, he gets sick very easily...his immune system isn't as strong. He doesnt weigh as much as he should due to being sick all the time.
    ilovejarule

Answer by ilovejarule at 5:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2009