I am pregnant with child #4 and the doctor wants to induce me this time never had it done before, I have heard there are a lot of risk. I am 39 weeks. Anyone have any suggestions to go with it or try to wait for baby?

joyful_23

Asked by joyful_23 at 8:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You're on baby #4 and he wants to induce you? You should be perfectly capable of giving birth without being induced. If it was me, I'd let my body go into labor on it's own.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:07 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• i was induced, they broke my water and gave me that medication to make it go faster..... it's quick! and it's worse than "regular" labor pains at least thats what i heard lol, never had a normal labor to compare, but either way my son is perfectly healthy and they did that before i hit 38 weeks i just hit week 38 when they did it.... so talk to your doctor though and make sure its the right choice for you two! gl!!!!
    enjen

Answer by enjen at 8:51 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• i have been induced 2 times due to very fast labor and all was fine. i actually preferred it because it is in a controlled environment. you can get an epidural very quickly and everyone is right there to help you. no chance of giving birth in a car, at home, etc. i do agree that if you have given birth without inducement 3 times, then you should be able to do it alone but maybe there are other issues? i wouldnt worry.....it was fine for me.
    paulad

Answer by paulad at 8:52 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Ive been induced with my last pregnancy it wasn’t on purpose though he checked me to see if I was dilating and he accidentally broke my water since I wasn’t in labor and for some reason when he broke my water it did nothing they had to give me potcin (sp?) but I was very fast the only problem had was since the potcin makes your contractions come faster and stronger my DD came out with her arm against her head so I was pushing out a head and arm ( witch was very painful even with a epi). But after 4 kids I don’t see why you would have to have one but make sure it what you want ( unless there’s a medical reason)
    GraciesMom52407

Answer by GraciesMom52407 at 9:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• now there is inducing by breaking the water sac and there is inducing by using pitocin. I had a doc. tell me once that water breaking naturally doesn't happen very often like we all see on tv. In fact when I was having my 2nd child I went into the hosital with heavy contractions,I was already at 5cm dilated and the water still hadn't broke. I didn't ever need the drug. Although we thought we might with my 3rd and last child. I was at 3 so they broke my water. I wasn't going anywhere on the contractions. But the doc went to lunch and when he got back an hour later I was in full blown labor. So I say let them break the water and hold off on the drug until you actually need to use it.
    shella

Answer by shella at 10:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• PERSONALLY, I am against inducing unless medically necessary(going past due date severly, preeclampsia, low amniotic fluid)....IMO I think going into labor is natural and should be done naturally. Inducing is harder on the body because it FORCES you to go into labor. Your body will usually know when it is ready. My water broke on my due date. I had the option of inducing early because I was tired and cranky and uncomfortable, but I am so glad I waited.
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 10:49 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Well I had both with my two kids. With my first (my daughter) I was induced because I was so sick during the pregnancy that I got induced by my doctor because I was so tired by the end. I got potcin and she broke my water. However with my son I was 6 CM dilated and still my water did not break they had to in the hospital because labor was moving so fast. If your doctor recommends it I would go with it. It may be for your own health and that of the baby. Discuss your concerns with them and let them know how to feel and ask them to explain the risks to you. Both of my deliveries went by pretty fast but there are always risks natural or induced.
    nickistephens

Answer by nickistephens at 11:07 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• well 1st I had a low leak when my water broke so my doctor induced me. Its not bad it didn't even hurt. Nothing is wrong with my baby because of it. I wanted to do natural birth but they had to do c-section in the end because my baby was to big. I really didn't want to have a c-section but that wasn't bad either.
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 11:27 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I was induced because I was diagnosed with toxcimia(?) and the worst part of it was the magnesiam, just real bad hot flashes, and depending on why they are wanting to induce you might not even need it. The other drug is fine, just makes the contractions come on faster and besides if you have the epidural you won't feel it any way
    rockinmama83

Answer by rockinmama83 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I was induced with my first son....but ended up having a emergence c-section because his heart rate went down. But that was due to the meds they gave me that night to sleep. But I don't think your doctor would want to induce you just because. You need to find out the reason behind it, that could be something that is safer for you this time around of safer for the bay. I just don't see a doctor wanting to do that for no reason.
    amandawood26

Answer by amandawood26 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2008