when shall i start teaching my 9 month old what's right and what's wrong

i sometimes nod to her when she does something wrong or make a sound of resentment sometimes i don't laugh and sometimes look away. hoping she would catch it someday.. so when is the right time??

docmamy

Asked by docmamy at 3:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Right now! Babies are much smarter than we sometimes give them credit for.
    She will pick up on your facial expressions and will soon understand them. It sounds like you are doing everything right IMO:)
    Anonymous

• OH yes!!! Start now!!! We started as soon as they began to be mobile!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My daughter is the same age and now that she is getting into everything...I'm wondering the same thing! She responds when I say no so I know she understands that. She has bitten me a couple of times and I say "Ouch, that hurts!" in a sad/hurt ton of voice but most of the time she just laughs at me or moves on to something else. Also...I can't get her to stay on her back for an entire diaper change! It gets aggravating sometimes! I've tried giving her a toy to play with during diaper changes but it doesn't always work.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• right away. babies are so much smarter then we give them credit for. my 6 month old pets the dog gently. we have to reteach him every time, but soon enough it will stick.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 4:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Start now. It can take a long time (a year or more) but she is learning a little bit each day. And remember, she is learning how rules WORK, not just what the rules are. For example:
    You've told her not to throw her blocks.
    Does this apply to toy cars? How about stuffed animals?
    Does it apply when she doesn't feel good? How about if it's raining outside? What if there are extra people in the house?
    Does it apply to food? Which foods? Just peas or do mashed potatoes count to?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• The little things that we automatically know, she doesn't know yet. Rules are complex and hard to understand. Especially when they keep changing. No, you are not allowed to play with scissors - but just a year or so later - here, have your own pair of scissors and lets have cutting time play. It makes it hard all through the toddler and preschool years since they know the rules CAN be changed and are trying to figure out when and how.
    kaycee14

• As soon as they're old enough to do something they're not supposed to do...they're old enough to be corrected.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2009