Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with going back to school

I've been have this problem for some years now. I have been trying to go back to school to complete my degree but I am not able to because I owe the university that I went to a little over $8,000. I am not able to go to any school because they will not give me my transcripts until I pay the entire amount. I have tried saving up some money, but every time I am about to make it, it seems like there is an emergency that comes up and I have to use the money that I have saved for me to fix it. I was wondering if there was any type of program, scholarship, or grant that would help me pay off a tuition that is 2 yrs past due. I have tried getting different school loans but most of them will not help with an account that over 3 months past due. Also I have tried to apply for personal loans but there is no help there either. Does anyone out there have any ideas on where I should go for help. Thanks JoanWilliam

Answer Question

Asked by joanwilliam at 3:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • I don't think you can get grants or scholarships for past accounts/tuition. If you owe as a student loan you will NOT be able to get an financial aide anywhere and you would have trouble getting any kind of loan. Call the school and ask to make payment arrangements with them. Explain your siutation and see what they say.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

  • I don't know what state you live in but I just got "rehabbed". I made a payment arrangement with my student loan that defaulted and had to be paid off by the state of LA. They paid Sallie Mae and then I owed the state of LA. They have a program where if you pay on time payments for nine months...they take off the adverse trade line on your credit score so that it looks as though your account was never delinquent. I just finished my nine on time payments about two months ago and now I can start taking out more loans if I want even though I am not finished paying them off. Also, I went to school for medical transcription and they have monthly pymt plans. I can get you a 250 discount this month if thats something that interests you but ask about the rehab program in your state maybe. Good Luck

    Answer by Mimi2mommy at 12:30 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.